Chapter 20

Change is hard. Just ask anyone who has tried to actually follow through on his or her new years resolution to eat healthier or drink less coffee. Even though change can be difficult, it is often for the better. And even though Peter hated to admit it he really was due for a break from Spiderman. He needed to be forced to take a step back from it in order from him to realize just how much his normal life was falling apart. Peter had neglected his education, his relationships, and May.

Peter knew that he would never give up his dream of one day being an actual hero. He was just putting that dream on hold for a few months as he tried to get is every day life back on track. Even if Mr. Stark refused to help him, he was going to figure out how to make his own suit. Peter didn't start out with all the fancy technology that came with Mr. Stark's suit, so he certainly could get on fine without it in the future.

The first few days after the ferry incident were the hardest. Peter felt like a piece of him was ripped away when the suit was taken away. Not to mention the trouble that Peter was in at school and at home. He was looking at months of detention and chores for May for all the skipping of school. But as Peter kept going through the motions, living the every day high school life slowly got easier. Peter no longer dreaded going to school but rather was excited to catch up in his classes and see his friends. All this progress was really thanks to his two best friends who made sure to stand by his side every step of the way despite the fact that just a few weeks ago he had been abandoning them to go zip around the city in a spandex suit.

Time passed and while Peter lost the one thing that he thought meant everything to him, he reconnected with people that meant even more. Peter had forgotten the reason why he even wanted to go out into Queens every night and patrol the city. It was to make sure people like May, Ned, and later Emma were safe. What's the point of having the ability to protect people if you have no one to protect.

It occurred to Peter that for the first time in months he finally felt content as he sat in his rundown room building the Lego death star with Ned. Ned had wanted to build this with him for months but he had continually blown him off. But now that Peter was finally building it, he wished he had done it sooner because it was already looking pretty damn epic.

"Dude when are you going to ask her?" Ned asked interrupting Peter's contemplative thoughts. Peter was instantly confused at Ned's question. Peter could only assume that the "her" was either May or Emma since it was the only two people in the female population that he actually talked to but he wasn't sure what he was supposed to ask or why.

"Asking Emma to homecoming" Ned continued upon seeing the confused look on his friends face "Don't you remember the big dance that only comes once a year and that we always talked about going to".

Peter couldn't believe that he had forgotten about homecoming. It had been the talk of Midtown High for weeks not to mention that it had always been Ned and his dream to go with hot dates.

"Do you think she would say yes?" Peter asked started to panic as he realized he had just over a week until the dance. Most people already had dates, outfits, and tickets. What if Emma had already said yes to somebody else or didn't want to go with him?

"Well I would hope so, considering that she is your girlfriend" Ned laughed at his friend. Peter was so obsessed and in awe of Emma that he sometimes forgot that they were dating. That boy was completely head over heals for her that she could probably kill somebody and he wouldn't even bat and eye when helping her bury a body.

"Sometimes, I forgot that somebody like her would even want to go out with me. How do you think I should ask her? I have to do it soon since the dance is coming up fast" Peter asked as he helped put on the final pieces of the death star.

"Whatever you do, you got to make it epic, how you got that girl is still a mystery to me." Ned joked even though he knew secretly that the pair was a perfect match for each other.

"I kind of want to do it tonight, I have something in mind" Peter said a smile appearing on his face as the plan formulated in his head.

"While lucky for you this is the last piece and then we finally completed the death star and you are free to go and whisk away your girl" Ned said as he put the final piece on the Lego creation that took hours to make.

"Alright thanks Ned for everything. See you soon, hopefully with a date to homecoming and then we can work on finding you a date" Peter said as he ran to the front door of his apartment so that he could go find Emma.

XXX

Emma was having a casual nigh at home watching the latest episode of Riverdale when a sharp knock on her door made her startle. Emma quickly muted the TV and walked to the door opening it to see a smiling Peter on the other side.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be making the death star with Ned" Emma asked as she felt a little bad for looking bad in her baggy sweatpants and old t-shirt.

"We already finished. And then I realized I was pretty hungry from all the heavy lifting of Legos and it occurred to me that I have a beautiful girlfriend just a door away that is always hungry and always in the mood to go get food" Peter said smiling as he watched the blush grow on Emma's cheeks from his words.

"Food?" Emma asked getting excited "Let me just go change super quick" Emma said running to her room with lighting speed so the could get food faster.

The pair ended up deciding on Thai food, a favorite of both as Queens was full of places to get a healthy dose of spice and flavor. It had been a while since they had gone out to a sit down restaurant dinner together. It was nice to just spend quality time together where it was not rushed in between classes.

After a long delicious dinner, Peter decided that they must go on a walk. Emma was a little confused seeing that it wasn't exactly daytime nor was it warm out but she decided not to question it. The pair winded their way around the streets before finally arriving at a familiar alleyway that Emma wishes she could forget. While it was the location of her almost being mugged it was also where Emma and Peter first met.

"Peter what are we doing her?" Emma asked only to see him pull out a sandwich not too different to the one that she had dropped on that dreaded day.

"Since the moment I meet you I knew that you were too good for me. I mean I even forgot to get you a replacement sandwich for the one you dropped. So I figured that it was in due time that I finally get you that sandwich " Peter said handing over the wrapped food. Emma instantly noticed the sharpie writing on the wrapping, discovering quickly that it read "HOMECOMING?"

Emma felt tears coming to her eyes as just earlier today she had figured that they probably wouldn't be going at all.

"Of course I'll go with you Peter" she said pulling him in for a much needed kiss. Emma pulled back to say "And even though I lost what I'm sure would have been an amazing sandwich that day, I got something even more amazing, I met you"

XXX

Sooo guess who hasn't updated forever. I honestly feel so bad but something about Winter break just hit me hard and I had no motivation to do nothing but sleep and eat. But new year, new chapter with hopefully more to come! As always let me know what you all think and if you are still enjoying this story!