Chapter 8

Friday: a day usually celebrated for it being the end of the work or school week. But this particular Friday brought anything but relief for Emma. It was the day of Liz's party and the whole school was buzzing with excitement. Don't get Emma wrong she was excited for tonight. It was her first date ever, after all, not to mention it was with Peter, the boy she had been crushing on since moving to New York. But Emma was also as nervous as hell; how was one supposed to act on a date and what if it ruined her and Peter's friendship.

It had been a whole two days since the incident at Peter's apartment. Two days that had been filled with Peter and Emma stealing heated glances at the other and both of them flirting around the topic of their up coming date. Ned was in bliss realizing what was happening between his two closest friends. For the last two days at lunch Ned had mysteriously disappeared early, giving his two friends some alone time.

No amount of avoidance however could make the fact that today was the day of the date disappear from their minds. Emma realized that she must face this reality as she walked into Chemistry on this Friday morning. As Emma walked into the room she realized that Peter was already there. Peter almost always got to class before her and he was always on his computer. As Emma walked to her seat, Peter looked up smiling as he saw Emma come. Emma felt butterflies in her stomach again as she always had been recently when seeing Peter. It was freaking annoying, Emma thought to herself and she tried to remind herself that it was no big deal, she was just sitting down in her seat.

"Hey Emma, I thought of another Chemistry joke for you" Peter said happily as he closed his laptop.

"Oh god not again Parker". It was Peter's new passion to tell her Chemistry jokes whenever he could. After telling her one a few days ago and Emma reacting so repulsively Peter had made it habit of telling her worse and worse jokes whenever he could just to annoy her.

"You must be a compound of Beryllium and Barium because you're a total Babe, get it because their periodic symbols are BA and BE" Peter said laughing to himself.

"A further explanation was really not needed on that one Peter" Emma said rolling her eyes at her friend's antics. While Emma pretended to hate Peter's jokes she really secretly loved them.  She knew that Peter spent a lot of time looking up new jokes just so he could tell her a fresh one everyday.

An awkward silence fell over the duo even though there was still a few minutes until class started. The reality that they were actually going on a date was becoming more tangible by the minute.

"So tonight..." Peter said breaking the silence as he played with his hands avoiding eye contact with Emma.

"What's happening tonight" Emma joked, feeling a little evil as Peter's head snapped up looking up at her wide eyed. Feeling bad, Emma continued, "I'm only kidding, I'm actually really excited". While saying this Emma subconsciously put her hand on Peter's to reassure him.

"Really?" Peter asked as his eyes lit up looking down at their hands and then up at Emma. He looked like a kid waking up on Christmas morning when he realized that Emma was excited.

"Really" Emma smiled "Is it fine if I meet you there though, my dad wanted to drive me or something. I don't really know why but I don't question that man's motives"

"Totally! No problem" Peter said turning his attention to the front of the room where the class was started. Emma also turned her attention to the front of the room but the duo left their hands intertwined on the table.

XXX

"MAY! I NEED HELP" Peter yelled in panic to his Aunt who had just got home from work.  The rest of the day at school had passed quickly but as the time to leave for the party quickly approached, Peter was getting more and more nervous. How the hell does one act on a date, especially a date where you were going to become Spider-man half way through? Ned had convinced Peter to bring his Spider-man suit and drop by the party as the hero in order to impress Emma. Peter was hesitant but eventually agreed because he was really willing to try anything to get Emma to like him.