The Beast Below Pt. 1

Amy is floating in space, with {Y/N} holding onto her ankle from the open door of the TARDIS.

"My name is Amy Pond. When I was seven, I had two imaginary friends. Last night was the night before my wedding."

"Come on, Pond," the Doctor says sticking his head out.

"And my imaginary friends came back" {Y/N| pulls Amy back inside the TARDIS.

"Now do you believe us?" {Y/N} asks.

"Ok, your box is a spaceship. It's really, really a spaceship. We are in space! What are we breathing?" Amy asks.

"I've extended the air shell. We're fine" the Doctor says as they are now above a city in space.

"Now that's interesting. Twenty-ninth century. Solar flares roast the earth, and the entire human race packs its bags and moves out till the weather improves. Whole nations" {Y/N} says as her and the Doctor run back to the console and the doors close.

"Doctor? {Y/N}?" Amy asks the Doctor and {Y/N} run around the console.

"Migrating to the stars," the Doctor says tapping {Y/N}'s nose, she scrunches up her face and he chuckles.

"Doctor? {Y/N}?"

"Isn't that amazing?" he asks.

"Doctor! {Y/N}!" they both turn to see that Amy isn't in the TARDIS, instead they've shut her outside, they both look up at her.

"Well, come on. I've found us a spaceship" he says they pull Amy back in and move to the monitor.

"This is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. All of it bolted together and floating in the sky. Starship UK. It's Britain, but metal" {Y/N} says her hands behind her back.

"That's not just a ship, that's an idea. That's a whole country, living and laughing and shopping. Searching the stars for a new home" the Doctor says placing his hand on {Y/N}'s shoulder.

"Can we go out and see?" Amy asks.

"Course we can. But first, there's a thing" the Doctor says.

"A thing?"

"An important thing. In fact, Thing One. We are observers only. That's the one rule me and {Y/N} have always stuck to in all our travels. We never get involved in the affairs of other peoples or planets" an image of a small girl waiting by the lifts is on the scanner.

"Ooo, that's interesting" {Y/N} says.

"So, we're like a wildlife documentary, yeah? Because if they see a wounded little cub or something, they can't just save it, they've got to keep filming and let it die. It's got to be hard. I don't think I could do that. Don't you find that hard, being all, like, detached and cold?" Amy sees the Doctor and {Y/N} on the scanner, speaking to the weeping child "{Y/N}? Doctor?" the Doctor gestures for her to join them.

"Welcome to London Market. You are being monitored" the Doctor and {Y/N} run over to Amy.

"I'm in the future. Like hundreds of years in the future. I've been dead for centuries" Amy says.

"Oh, lovely. You're a cheery one. Never mind dead, look at this place. Isn't it wrong?" the Doctor asks.

"What's wrong?" Amy asks as the three move forward.

"Come on, use your eyes. Notice everything. What's wrong with this picture?" {Y/N} asks.

"Is it the bicycles? A bit unusual on a spaceship, bicycles."

"Says the girl in the nightie," the Doctor says.

"Oh my God, I'm in my nightie."

"Now, come on, look around you. Actually look" {Y/N} says.

"London Market is a crime-free zone."

"Life on a giant starship. Back to basics. Bicycles, washing lines, wind-up street lamps. But look closer" the Doctor says "Secrets and shadows, lives led in fear. A society bent out of shape, on the brink of collapse. A police state. Excuse me" he takes a pint glass of water from a table.

"What are you doing?" the man asks, the Doctor puts it on the floor, kneeling down. He looks at it for a moment then returns it to the table.

"Sorry. Checking all the water in this area. There's an escaped fish. Where was I?"

"Why did you just do that with the water?" Amy asks.

"Don't know. I think a lot. It's hard to keep track. Now, police state. Do you see it yet?"

"Where?"

"There" the weeping girl, all alone.

"One little girl crying. So?"

"Crying silently. I mean, children cry because they want attention because they're hurt or afraid. But when they cry silently, it's because they just can't stop. Any parent knows that" {Y/N} says.

"Are you a parent?" Amy asks.

"Hundreds of parents walking past who spot her and not one of them is asking her what's wrong, which means they already know, and it's something they don't talk about. Secrets. They're not helping her, so it's something they're afraid of. Shadows, whatever they're afraid of, it's nowhere to be seen, which means it's everywhere. Police state" the Doctor says, a Smiler watches the girl get into a lift.

"Where'd she go?" Amy asks.

"Deck two oh seven. Apple Sesame block, dwelling 54A" {Y/N} says.

"You're looking for Mandy Tanner. Oh, er, this fell out of her pocket when I accidentally bumped into her. Took me four goes. Ask her about those things. The smiling fellows in the booths. They're everywhere" the Doctor gives Amy a colorful wallet.

"But they're just things."

"They're clean. Everything else here is all battered and filthy. Look at this place. But no one's laid a finger on those booths. Not a footprint within two feet of them. Look. Ask Mandy, why are people scared of the things in the booths?" {Y/N} asks.

"No, hang on. What do I do? I don't know what I'm doing here and I'm not even dressed" Amy says.

"It's this or Leadworth. What do you think? Let's see. What will Amy Pond choose? Haha, gotcha. Meet me and {Y/N} back here in half an hour" the Doctor says.

"What are you two going to do?"

"What we always do. Stay out of trouble. Badly."

"So, is this how it works, Doctor and {Y/N}? You never interfere in the affairs of other peoples or planets, unless there's children crying?"

"Yes."

---

~Bread 🍞