18

We walked for a while after that. I wasn't sure if our decision to continue this mission was totally consensus but I guess it doesn't really matter now. We all climbed into a boat to cross a super foggy river, or maybe it was a lake; I'm not sure. The second my butt hit the wooden bench I felt fatigue set in.

I hadn't really fought that hard. Just a little muscle was all I needed so I knew it wasn't fatigue from the fighting. I pursed my lips grimly knowing it was my recently developed insomnia that was wearing on me. At this rate I'm more baggage than help. If we have another opponent to face I don't know how useful I'll be.

A tired ninja is a dead ninja.

I rubbed a scar on my thigh hidden by the white shorts I was wearing. It had been one of my first hunts with my pack and I was young, my stamina had yet to fully develop. Nao was with me that day as he was a little older than I and had started his hunts before.

Together we had caught our prey, of course. Nao and I had a perfect record of success; when we were together nothing could escape us. But at that time I didn't know how to handle myself and wandered into the bushes following an odd scent. I was oblivious those days, following my nose blindly. I came across a cave and ventured inside to find a few bear cubs.

I stupidly hovered around the cubs and of course the mother bear found me. Thanks to our hunt I was too tired to outrun her. If it weren't for Nao I would've died that day.

I looked down at my hand still placed above the scar from that bear and noticed a faded burn scar on my thumb. That one was from training as a child when I taught myself the famous Uchiha fire jutsus. I frowned in thought. My body was littered with scars each having their own story, most of them I didn't even remember at this point.

I guess I'll never be able to wear a swimsuit.

"This is as far as I can take you." The boatman told Tazuna as the two gave silent goodbyes to each other.

I furrowed my brow having been lost in my memories for the whole trip. I glanced over to my team. Naruto was on high alert for some reason and was jumping around the clearing we were dropped off by, looking for danger. Sakura watched him disdainfully and walked slowly behind him. Kakashi-sensei lazily watched the two seeming totally uninterested in Naruto's idiocy. Sasuke was watching me.

"You don't listen." He smirked my way and I narrowed my eyes. I opened my mouth to respond before closing it again knowing he was totally right. With a resigned sigh I averted my eyes from the smug boy.

"What did I miss?" I took a cautious glance his way only to see Sasuke with a superior smirk on his face. I frowned, that's exactly what I didn't want to see.

"Naruto!" Sakura scolded drawing our attention towards the rest of our team, "you have to be carful with those!"

"She's right, Naruto," Kakashi-sensei added as he strolled over to the bush where Naruto, apparently, threw a kunai into for no reason. "These things aren't toys." Kakashi-sensei drew back the bush to see an absolutely terrified white rabbit.