10 | more

y'all boys i officially have 3 books.
this one, trauma, & (newly posted) texting buddy. go check out those two if you haven't please and thank you!! now enjoy reading.

"Kevin!"

Kevin turns at the sound of your voice, grinning as you run across the patio. "Y/N!" he yells, grabbing you by the waist to spin you in the air.

You laugh, tucking your hair behind your ear as he sets you down. "Okay, that was enough," you grin. "I still have to look presentable at the reception." Then, noticing your surroundings you gasp. "Wow."

"Gotta give it to her, Angie sure knows how to pick a venue," Kevin says, coming up behind you.

"I'll say," you nod, gazing out over the Pacific. Your friend, Angie is getting married today and already her venue is more impressive than you could ever dream. The ceremony itself was held in a small chapel uphill, while the reception is at this hotel on the beach.

It's nearly six 'o'clock, which means the sun is just beginning to sink below the horizon. Faded beams of light stretch over the party, washing the guests in a rosy light. You face Kevin, one of your best friends from college, and grin. "So," you say, punching him on the arm. "What's this I hear about you being next?"

Kevin pulls his phone from his pocket, cheeks turning pink. "I don't know to what you are referring."

You clap your hands. "Oh, tell me you're proposing to Kayla. Please! Where is she, by the way?" you ask, looking around.

Kayla and Kevin have been together since sophomore year – set up by you, actually. It was one of your more brilliant moments in match-making, if you do say so yourself.

"Business trip," Kevin says, turning his phone around – to reveal a picture of a ring. "Got it last Wednesday," he beams, proud as hell.

"Oh, it's gorgeous," you sigh, taking the phone. Then you glare. "Kev I'm," you say. "If I don't have a front row seat to your wedding," you threaten, leaving the sentence open-ended.

He laughs. "If Kay doesn't put you in the bridal party, I'd be surprised."

"Good." You hand the phone back to him and take a sip of your champagne, looking around the room. "So. Who do you think is hooking up tonight?"

Kevin laughs, pushing jet-black dreads from his eyes. "It's a wedding," he says. "Probably everyone."
As you survey the crowd your eyes land on Kevin's parents. "Damn," you laugh. "I forgot you knew Kayla from high school. Does this mean your whole family is coming?"

"Pretty much," Kevin nods. "Even a few brothers. Kayla's parents are pretty tight with the whole lot of them."

"Your brothers?" you grin, blinking happily up at Kevin. "Does this include your incredibly handsome, actor star brother?"

Kevin groans. "Dear lord, I thought you had given up on that."

You wink, tapping your finger to your chin. "I could never give up on your fangirl-worthy, nosebleed-inducing, hotter-than-hell cousin, Keith Powers."
Kevin looks upwards. You watch him struggle to control his laughter. "I don't think he's here," he says at last, grinning in your direction. "Last I heard he was shooting for Famous In Love. I doubt he has the time."

"Shame." You take another sip. "Anyways. What table are you at?" You grab at his seating card.
"No, please – go ahead," Kevin jokes. "I didn't want that or anything."

"Three!" you exclaim, holding out your own. "Me too."

"You don't say." Kevin smiles. Somewhere inside, a bell dings.