23 | The Twenty Third Chapter

The Twenty Third Chapter - Whiskey in my Coffee.

.

.

.

It seemed like a good idea to spend time with people that didn't infuriate me at this stage. So the Slaters were off the table. Yes, I was grateful to Will and Adriana for taking care of me before and after the party on Friday, but after everything with Tyler, I needed to try and forget about his face for the time being. So I called up Zoe.

"I'm still in shock from Friday night," she was admitting as we pulled up outside the shopping centre. "I can't believe I missed all of that! Adri was telling me about it yesterday... do you know who the guy was?"

"She didn't tell you?" I asked as I moved to open my door and step out of the car, Zoe following.

"No, she just said some guy came looking for beef with Tyler, so he roughed you up to draw him out. She sounded surprised that he was after Tyler."

"Yeah," I murmured, frowning slightly at her words. "She said his name was Noah, and that he was here for the boys. But he asked specifically about Tyler. Do you know him?"

"Noah?" Zoe questioned. "Mm... vaguely. I can't remember if he went to our school, but definitely not in the last few years. If he has beef with Tyler, I'd say they know each other through something else."

We walked in, and I looked around as I chewed the inside of my mouth nervously.

"I'm just..." I stopped myself before I could finish, but Zoe knew where I was going anyway.

"He knew you," she said for me. "He knew what you looked like, your name, where to find you... River, I'm so sorry. This must be so awful for you."

"I'm just sick of all the lies, the secrets," I grumbled as we walked in towards the shopping centre. "Everyone's hiding something and it's pissing me off because I always get caught up in the middle of it."

"It'll get better, I promise," she replied sweetly. "You've got me! And shopping. Where should we go first. Clothes or food?"

"Ugh, food," I grumbled, echoing my stomach's cries. "I'm starving. I might also ask the barista to slip a couple shots of whiskey in my coffee."

"Did you sleep much last night?"

"No, I've just been at the gym all morning, I'm exhausted," I let out with a sigh as we walked to find somewhere to eat. "I probably should have skipped today because of my ribs but I felt like I needed to get some anger out, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it," Zoe agreed, as she slowed in front of a little pop-up café in the middle of the shopping centre. "So, coffee? Want to split a focaccia with me too?"

"Sure."

We got our food, sat to eat and took our coffee with us as we went on the hunt for things we wanted to buy that would cheer us up. I bought myself a new pair of boots and a nice jumper that would look nice with them, and thought it best to stop there before I went broke. It always feels good to treat yourself, but if you do it too much, you might hate yourself for spending all your money, too.

True, but you'd have nice new clothes to cheer yourself up for it, I thought to myself with a sly smile.

"So, how do you get by without working?" Zoe asked as they kept strolling past shops, casually glancing in each one to see if anything caught their eye.

"I commission some graphic designs when I have time," I explained. "I design logos, book covers, photoshopped images and templates and all that stuff. I haven't been doing it since I moved here; it's just been that bit too much for me. But I've racked up a bit of cash for that so it's not too bad."

"You should get back into it!" Zoe exclaimed. "That is so cool, I had no idea! Have you done anything famous?"

I laughed at her enthusiasm. "No, nothing famous," I admitted. "Just some stuff for new small businesses and people online. I've just gotten lucky that I have Mum around, 'cause she's not making me pay rent or anything."

"Would you show me some stuff you've done when we get back to yours?"

"Of course! Now stop asking me about my money or I'll think you're up to something."

"Me?" she questioned with a scoff. "No, never. What would I do with money, but buy new dresses I can't afford?"

"Exactly."

"Ooh, I see something I like!" Zoe announced, and made a hard right into one of the shops.

"Wait, can I leave my things with you?" I called out quickly, and she came back out to take my bags. "I just have to run to the ladies, I'll meet you back in here."

"I'll just take my time then, shall I?" she laughed and trotted back into the shop. I grinned at her as I turned and kept walking down the shopping centre until I turned to the corridor following the bathroom signs and went inside.

I took one step outside when I was done and almost ran into someone coming in, startling me slightly.

"Oh, sorry," I said, moving to step around them. Somehow, that didn't get me out of their way. Or rather, that didn't get them out of my way. I frowned slightly. "Excuse me," I repeated, glancing up at the person. I didn't recognise him at all, but the way he was looking at me told me he knew exactly who I was, and that this was no coincidence.

"Follow me," he said quietly. "David Slater would like a word."

"Shit." I looked around quickly. I could make a run for it, but I didn't think I was going to get far. There was no one else in the corridor; all I had to do was make it to the end, and then I was deep in the public's eye. No one would be able to touch me out there. But I wasn't liking my chances, as this man took a few slow steps towards me, almost ushering me out the emergency exit on the other end of the hall. All I could do was follow him, and pray to everything sacred out there that I would be okay.

.

.

.

A new update! I apologise for the delay, there is no excuse other than the fact that sometimes, we fall out of the desire to write, and sometimes we randomly fall back in, and I know you all get that. I want to commit to this story, so please let me know if you love it because this will motivate me to keep going for you guys!

What do you think David Slater has in store for River?

Keep reading! x