10 | The Tenth Chapter

The Tenth Chapter - Something Stupid.

TYLER'S P.O.V.

.

.

.

As soon as I saw the girl from the cafeteria standing with Will in the driveway, I knew something had happened inside. I almost rolled my eyes at my brother's stupidity in bringing her here; surely he knew Mum wasn't going to give up? Wasn't that the whole fucking point of having no friends anymore?

I held my tongue as I walked past them, not bothering to ask what had happened or why Will was dumb enough to expect nothing was going to in the first place. He was going to figure it out sooner or later, when this one ended up just like all the rest of them.

I let a scowl form over my face when I entered the house, immediately seeing my mother looming in the entrance hall. She looked eager; excited, even. I ignored her as well and made my way for the staircase.

"Tyler," her voice trailed toward me tauntingly, stopping me in my tracks. I didn't turn around as I stood at the base of the stairs, but I tilted my head just slightly enough to act as an acknowledgement. "You didn't tell me William made a new friend at school."

"Why the fuck would I care who he makes friends with?" I growled, and continued my way up the stairs. "Will can handle himself."

"I'm not worried about Will."

"Then who are you worried about?" I demanded as I stopped walking again, turning around fully to give my mother a full, hard glare. "Yourself? Are you going to send this one to a phsyc ward too?"

"Tyler, that's not fair," she shot back, returning my glare just as steadily as she neared the landing. "That wasn't my fault; Lena was mentally unstable as it was."

"She was fine until you-" I hesitated now, biting my tongue before I could continue. It was too soon. "You know what? I don't care anymore. Do what you like. I'm fucking done."

"Well, I'm not, so you can stay right where you are until I am," Mum barked, her voice loud and her eyes cold. I twisted my lips into another scowl as I faced the crazy woman face-on. She was intimidating when you knew what she'd done, but I wasn't entirely sure I knew everything just yet.

"I don't want to be a part of your sick little game to win Dad back," I spat menacingly, the hate glaring down on my mother through pale blue eyes. "You fucked up; deal with it. Move on. Don't bring innocent people into it because you don't know how to deal."

"But this one isn't innocent, Tyler," Mum sang, and the triumph in her voice made me stiffen on the spot. "This is the one."

I held back the urge of clenching my jaw, knowing full well something was going on behind the scenes here that I didn't quite understand. But I held my ground and lifted my chin threateningly.

"This is the first person Will's actually taken a liking to since last year," I muttered, my icy voice reflecting the coldness in my eyes. "Don't take that from him, Mum. Don't be a monster."

"It was too late for that when he brought her here," Mum mused, lifting an eyebrow unimpressively. "If you know what's good for you, you'll let this play out on its own without intervening. This is what's going to bring me back; she can help me, Tyler."

"No one can help you!" I exploded, my fists clenched into tight balls beside me. "You're fucking delusional, god-dammit; leave River out of it!"

Mum narrowed her eyes, and I bit my lip at my outburst.