2 | The Second Chapter

The Second Chapter - The Biggest Asshole in Heathfield

.

.

.

By the end of the day, I didn't encounter Will again, despite his locker being opposite mine. Also, I was getting a lot of weird looks, which I assumed were because I was seen conversing with the three siblings in recess earlier who – apparently – no one ever talked to. Like, ever. Which was also weird. So I just wandered over to my car and chucked my stuff on the passenger seat before starting up the car and pulling out of the Heathfield High School carpark. The drive home was quiet and boring, because my car's speaker system had broken prior to me moving away with Mum, and I didn't have time amongst the drama to fix it yet. I could've played it straight from my iPod, but the quality was just so bad that I knew it would be worth the wait. I just had to find a place sometime soon that could help me out.

"Mum, I'm back," I called as I opened the door to our apartment, closing it behind me before chucking the keys on a nearby packing box. "You in here?"

"In the kitchen," Mum called back, so I weaved my way through the brown cardboard and make it to the kitchen, which consisted of white tiles and timber.

"What're you doing in here?" I sang as I found my mum unpacking boxes of cups. "Ooh, I didn't know we had these," I added as I picked up a really nice red mug that had a kind of matte finish. Mum sighed.

"That's because I bought them today," she replied sourly. "Your father sold all my stuff, remember?"

I bite my lip. "Right," I replied, tapping the bench with my fingers. "Okay. Cool. Well, I'm gonna go finish my room, so..."

"I got you something, too," Mum called out as I made it to the hall. "It's on your bed."

"Is it a chocolate cake?" I called back as I skipped down to my room and threw the door open. "Because I won't eat anything else, you know that."

"It's not cake," Mum added, and I scowled.

"Well, that's unfortunate," I muttered, looking around. That's when I found a parcel sitting on my bed; a brown box, with details on the sides. Frowning, I moved for the box and turned it around so I could see the writing. I was addressed to me, which was weird because I didn't remember ordering anything in the past day I'd been living here. My frown deepened as I grabbed a pen from a nearby shelf and stabbed it into the tape, ripping the box open anxiously. There was another box in there, but there was also a piece of paper sitting on the top, which made me hesitate before picking it up and opening it.

Sin,

I wish I could say sorry, but that's kind of stupid, so I won't. All I can attempt to say is that I hope you're doing okay. I know you need me right now, and it sucks I can't be there for you. If I could be there right now, and drop everything else for you, I would. Except if I was eating chocolate cake; you know how I feel about chocolate cake. So, instead, I sent you a box of some of my stuff. I know it's not the same, but it's better than nothing. I wish I could make it up to you. After what I did, I understand you being angry or upset. I would be, if our roles were reversed. That probably doesn't make you feel better, does it? I wish I hadn't written this in pen. Look, I just want to make sure you're okay. With your dad and everything, I know you probably don't want to think about me, and I'm sorry for that, too. But you have to be strong. Just think about this; I've written about a thousand letters, and I'm going to be sending you one every month, just to make sure you haven't broken anyone's ribs while I'm not there. And for a guy who said apologising is stupid about five minutes ago, I'm going to say sorry again, and I miss you.