Summertime Sadness

Finally, Summer arrived. This past year was extremely stressful after dealing with new teachers, not to mention the annoying and rather neurotic classmates. Basically all of the negative things that any average person has dealt with in junior high. But things were just starting to get worse once I opened the door to my family home.

"Mom? Dad? I'm-" I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw my parents standing in the foyer with suitcases at their feet.

"Are you going somewhere?" I curiously asked as I set my school bag down on the floor by the backdoor.

"We aren't...but you are." My father said almost apologetically.

"Your Aunt May called and said she wanted to see you since she hasn't seen you in a while, so your father and I thought that it would be best if you spent the Summer with your Aunt and Uncle in Gary." My Mother said ecstatically.

"Gary? As in Gary...Indiana?! Mom you can't be serious! Dad, please tell me she is joking. I've got plans this Summer!" I shouted at them unfairly.

"What plans? Anna the only plans you ever make during the Summer are to sit inside all day for three months straight. Your Aunt and Uncle are looking very forward to seeing you. There is no other option. You're going to Gary whether you like it or not. This will be good for you honey, it will be your time to make new friends." My father said seriously.

"Yeah, friends that I will forget about and leave behind once Summer ends." I scoffed sarcastically.

"Anna, I'm not going to argue with you on this. You're going and that's final! Your train leaves in an hour so get the rest of your things and get into the car." My parents turned away as I stomped up the staircase towards my bedroom to throw some last-minute things into a bag. This is going to be an interesting Summer.

...

As we pulled into the train station, my heart immediately sank into the depths of my stomach. I wasn't looking forward to this, but I had lost my battle.

"Do I really have to go?" I whined once more as I leaned against the back of our family's station wagon.

"Yes, you do. This will be a good thing for you. Your Aunt May is so happy to know that you will be coming." My mother gushed happily. I rolled my eyes and flipped on my sunglasses to shade my eyes from the Summer sun. This was honestly a normal thing for me, my parents are always trying to get rid of me at some point. Whether it is sending me off to Gary for the Summer or attempting to enroll me in boarding school, I was always the one who had to be ridden of.

"Alright, your train leaves in fifteen minutes, so we need to get going." My parents rushed me through the crowded station as we lugged my bags onto a trolley cart.

"Now boarding Train 167 to Gary, Indiana!" The intercom announced loudly over the station.

"That's you, Anna." My parents escorted me to the long line of waiting passengers as the conductor checked each ticket. Once mine was checked, I boarded the train and found an empty seat next to the window facing the crowded station. I veered to my right to see my parents waving and blowing kisses. My mother mouthed 'I love you' to me while my father held up his hand to signify a phone and mouthing 'Call us'. Right as they said that, the train began to move and tears began to sting my eyes. I waved to my parents one last time before pulling completely out of the station. I sighed heavily and sank into the cushiony seats. My trip has only just begun, and yet I was feeling completely homesick.