Chapter 23

(Thank you if you're still reading, that's amazing! This was one of my favourite chapters to write so I hope you like it :) please comment or vote if you want to, it would mean a lot.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slid down the lid of the laptop feeling deflated. I was too upset to be angry, but to angry to cry. I got up and scraped my fingers through my hair. What was going on?!

I pulled my hair back into a messy bun and threw on a pair of joggers. I was about to walk out the apartment when I went back to the bedroom and found a vest top to replace Harry's baggy T-shirt. I couldn't muster wearing that at the minute.

I shoved my phone into my pocket and walked along the corridor. I knocked on the door a couple down from mine and Niall answered straight away. He was the first person I thought of after Harry when I saw the picture.

"Hey Lets!" he said chirpily, he obviously hadn't seen the picture so didn't know I had a reason to be upset.

"Hey, Niall" I said returning his strong hug. "Could I possibly borrow your guitar" I continued as happily as possible, I didn't want to speak to him about it just yet.

"Of course, love" he said in his familiar Irish accent and he walked into the living room to get it for me. He handed it over and I thanked him with a hug.

I walked back into mine and Harry's apartment and grabbed my notebook and pen from the side. I sat in the middle of the rug facing to look out the window and the words spilled out onto the page. In no time at all I had written a song and the guitar chords to go with it.

I played it through once more and stood up feeling a little more refreshed. I'd always loved writing songs and I found it quite relaxing to let out all my feelings onto paper.

I picked up Niall's guitar and strode back along the corridor to return it. He ushered me into the room and sat on the sofa. It was almost identical to our apartment apart from Niall's stuff being dotted about in places.

"I didn't know you wrote songs and played guitar?" he said looking straight into my eyes "come on lets hear a bit" he continued, his smile showing.

"Oh I don't know, it's not very good, and I'll get all embarrassed" I replied pretending to hide my face.

"It's only me Lets, pleaaseeee?" he whined and gave me his puppy dog eyes, pouting out his bottom lip like a child.

I laughed at him and sat down placing the guitar on my lap, getting comfortable to play. I played a few chords and then sang the second part of the chorus:

You don't understand the way I feel, 

I knew something was wrong.

I'm attached to you with broken strings,

But I can't, I can't let go of you. 

I strummed the last chord and Niall applauded but insisted on me playing the whole thing for him. I had gotten over my embarrassment so I agreed and a smile flickered across his lips. I looked at him as I played and his eyes bore into mine. I finished the song and he smiled over at me.

"It's beautiful Lettie...but who's it about?" his question caught me off guard and I sighed, blinking back a tear but it was too late. It escaped my eye and dripped onto the guitar that was still in my hand.

Niall could obviously tell who the song was about from my reaction and moved over to me, pulling me into a hug, rocking me like a small child. His arms were so warm and comforting, I thought as I buried my head into his shoulder.