Chapter 13

A few days after the Katie incident my dad woke me up waving two pieces of paper above my head and shaking my shoulder.

"Look what I've got Lets, a spare ticket to fly to New York, in a couple of days!" he exclaimed, trying to hold back his excitement at telling me, he was such a kid at heart.

I grabbed the tickets from his hand and looked at them, my mouth gaping. I loved NY, I had been there a few times as a child and it would be just what I needed to take my mind of everything, plus Harry was in America so I'd be a little closer to him.

My dad explained that work had asked him to go over there and he had managed to blag me a ticket from his boss as she knew me and was really lovely. Harry also already knew we were going. The surprise was on me!

A few days later we were pulling our suitcases behind us and heading to NY. We were only going for around 4 days but my suitcase was full to the brim. Well I had no idea what the weather was going to be like, did I? I pulled my suitcase along behind me tripping over it a couple of times, I was so clumsy. We boarded the plane and the flight was pretty uneventful, I slept through most of it.

We arrived safely and travelled to my godmother's house just outside the city where we would be staying. Dad's company had offered a hotel but I hadn't seen my godmother in ages and we decided it would be nicer to stay with her. I flung my suitcase onto the bed and started to unpack my things a little before heading downstairs to see everyone.

My godmother was so lovely and I'd missed her so much. She pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek. We sat down at the table and started a general conversation about school and what I'd been up to. My dad had already had to go into the city for work so it was just me and my godmother.

"So who's this guy your dad was telling me about?" she suddenly asked. It caught me off guard and I must have blushed as she laughed a little at me.

"Oh, Harry? We're just friends, he's a great guy, but he's always so busy, it's complicated." I told my godmother everything. We were close even though I barely saw her.

"Aw I know how it is sweetheart" she said smiling at me "But I'm sure things will sort themselves out if its meant to be." She was always good at giving advice and had pretty wise words to shed on situations which confused me. I smiled at her and we continued the conversation moving on from Harry after a short while.

I went to lay down as the jet lag was getting to me. I must have fallen asleep pretty quickly as my dad woke me up when he shut the door, returning from work. I stretched my arms out as I heard him come up the stairs. My door clicked open and he walked in holding a little bag in his hand. He handed it to me.

"This was left for you in the office at work, my boss gave it to me for you." he said smiling, he obviously knew who it was from.

I unwrapped the pink tissue paper and a pretty little bracelet fell out onto my lap. It was beautiful, a little brown string bracelet which pulled in at either side, and dangling from it was a little charm in the shape of a heart, the word 'Love' engraved on it with a little sparkly gem next to it. I smiled at the bracelet and put it on immediately.

I then fumbled around in the tissue paper and pulled out a little note. It was written on a small piece of paper which had been neatly folded in half. I opened it slowly, wondering what I was going to see. Written on the paper was simply:

                                                                Love Harry xxx

I couldn't keep back the smile on my face, my dad had gotten up and left the room by now, I guess he knew all along what it was. I looked at the note for a while, just thinking. Then I picked up my phone and dialled Harry's number.

"Hey Lets" he answered after the first couple of rings.

I told him I'd gotten the bracelet he'd left for me and said how lovely it was and that I was wearing it. I added I was never going to take it off in a slightly sarcastic tone. I couldn't be too lovey towards him, could I? He laughed at my comment and went on to say how he'd seen it in a shop near Central Park and said it had reminded me of him to Louis.

"Louis was the one who came up with the idea to leave it for you as we knew your dad was coming here in a few days, I'm useless at all that sort of thing" he said more quietly than normal.

"Where you trying to be romantic Styles?" I replied giggling at his attempt and he told me to shut up flirtily, I carried on laughing a little before saying again how sweet it was of him to think of me.

"Too right" he said, him laughing this time. We talked a while longer about how we'd been and where the boys were and what they were doing.

Suddenly Harry blurted out "I miss you Lettie, I want to see you as soon as I get home!"

I let the words hang in the air a little, considering my reply. "I miss you too, Harry. But we can't just meet up it's too difficult."

"The week we get back to England" he said to me slowly "I'm at home...in Holmes Chapel. Please come and see me? I have an idea, you can get the train down and if people ask who you are, we'll say you're a family friend or a cousin" his words were speeding up, "and then you can stay the weekend, mum won't mind, and you can get the train home, or I can drive you back as I'll be driving back to London too!" He spluttered the words out and I had trouble keeping up.

"Really Harry, will that work?" I wasn't to sure, it all sounded crazy, but I guess it could work. We wouldn't know unless we tried.

I agreed to get the train down in a couple of weeks and we said goodbye. As I hung up the phone I looked down at my wrist where the bracelet sat perfectly, the gold charm glittering in the light. I remembered my godmothers words from earlier that day. Maybe this was everything sorting itself out, maybe it was meant to be?