74 - If You Can't Sleep, Let the Others Sleep

Start from the beginning

The others including Laur and Vaughn had looked at Yulrir with expectation as well.

"This is..." Yulrir mumbled hesitatingly.

"I--" Theo was about to reply but a mellow voice of a child had cut retorted abruptly.

"Father wants to hide his face because it'll be troublesome... Father said back then that being beautiful attracts unnecessary trouble!" Small Seed huffed proudly. He then bashfully looks up to Yulrir has been holding him like a mother since earlier.

Yulrir smiled sheepishly. "It's not that I don't want to show it to you guys... It's complicated at the moment and my clan won't allow me to do it without permission. You see-- it's a part of our clan's tradition." Yulrir lied. He felt bad doing so but he needed to be careful about revealing himself as an omega. Afterall, Small Seed had never said his past self's profile and remained anonymous. Her master, Terra had once said that there were earlier recordings of an omega reaching an immortal rank but it was never been publicized. Right after hearing Small Seed's story, there is a possibility that it was actually his past self that his Big Sister Terra was once pointing out. He can't help but feel funny on how coincidental it would be if his theory was true.

Theo sighed in relief and leaned his body on Yulrir. "Spare my wife and Small Seed at the moment. They had been answering your questions all day long." Small seed giggled upon hearing  Theo's statement and patted Theo's head.

"Like father like son ah..." Theo inwardly thought to himself and smiled.

The others seem to pick up Theo's suggestion and nodded shyly. 

"I have one last question... This had been bugging me since earlier... The portal opens and closes every year... Is Small Seed the reason behind it?" Vaughn asked with a puzzled expression.

"That's a good question! I was about to ask it too..." Eavan chuckled as the group turned their curious gaze to Small Seed.

Small Seed shook his head. "It wasn't me. Small Seed was just a residence of the ancient realm. The one who is in control of everything in the realm is The Lord's contract beast, Huma. Huma is Small Seed's friend. Unlike Small Seed, Huma is unable to leave the ancient realm. Huma had become the Lord of this realm and he is responsible to oversee the entire realm." Small Seed stated enthusiastically.

"Huma? If that's the case... is his existence higher than yours?" Laur can't help but ask a follow-up question. At this moment, the group had been already immune with explosive existences and immortal-ranks alike. Small Seed's and even the incredible story behind Yulrir as a reincarnated immortal is enough to let them realize how vast the world is. As what they say there are always mountains beyond mountain and men beyond man.

(A/N: Chinese proverb basically saying 'There's always someone better')

"Small Seed has no idea about Huma's current cultivation rank ah --- it's been thousand years since we last met but before we partway and the Lord had ascended... Huma was already at the immortal rank.." Small Seed answered ruefully. He just realized how long was it since he last saw his friend.

"Oh!!! We will meet him later when it's your time to leave the realm ah! Huma's other responsibility is to actually find a decent and suitable inheritor of The Lord... so he gives the last trial to every disciple who managed to survive before sending them back to the normal realm!" Small Seed perked up and waved his hands bouncily.

"Actually the whole reason why the ancient realm was made is for the Lord to test every young cultivator and find him a suitable heir." Small Seed added in an 'as-a-matter-of-fact' tone.

"Oh yah... I remembered hearing that there is a final trial at the end... So that was it!" Eavan tapped the base of her right fist to her left palm akin to someone who just got an idea.