Chapter 54 (Mare POV)

I leave the princes and the ambassador with Maven to finish the tour of the palace. My duties lie elsewhere. I check on the cooks and confirm our meal for the guests. One of my ladies-in-waiting tells me that we have four rooms prepared in the guest wing. I go check them just in case. A voice in the back of my mind remind me that just one screw up and not only will I have let down Maven, Cal and myself, I will have let down my country. I straighten the sheets in each room and lay a rose on each pillow. A white rose of course. It's the closest we could naturally get to silver. With a quick glance in a mirror, I see that my dress has gotten slightly wrinkled. I hastily smooth it out. I spend the rest of the morning running around, giving orders to servants, tidying the palace, and triple checking every detail. While Maven does all the actual talking, I work behind the scenes. I realize it's almost time for our royal luncheon and I rush down to the entrance to the dining hall. Praying I'm not late, I open the doors. I breathe a sign of relief when I see that they're not there yet. I carefully shut the door behind me and then I wait.
After about ten minutes, Maven enters with the three princes. The ambassador is nowhere to be seen. Maven takes a seat at the head of the tables and motions for me to sit next to him. I do. The princes fill in around, but the seat next to me is still empty. We wait a moment before the food is brought out. Maven raises a glass and toasts to the prosperity of our nations and the strength of the relationship between us. As he finishes, the ambassador quietly comes in and takes the seat next to me. He doesn't raise his glass with us and he doesn't eat much. The princes send their regards to the chefs but the ambassador stays quiet. Not in anger or malice, he just seems to be deep in thought. Like he's trying to make an important decision. We finish up and Maven escorts the princes and the ambassador to the conference room to meet with the senators. I follow behind but as I'm about to enter the meeting, the door is closed in my face. I always attend the discussions with the senators. I couldn't see who closed the door, but it's obvious that I'm not wanted so I step back, and go to prep the ballroom for our evening event.

Wow, did I just update with an actual chapter? Shocking i know. Happy New Year guys. Thx for reading! - Just Jules