Chapter 49 (Mare POV)

He knows. Maven knows I was in Cal's room. Looking at Cal's stuff. In Cal's bed. I wipe the remaining tears from my eyes as I run into the elevator to meet the caterers. The meeting goes well and doesn't take long. For the most part, I listen to their suggestions but add my own twists on each dish. This banquet is going to be perfect. I will not be responsible for ruining the relationship Norta has with Piedmont. The caterers leave and I'm about to tell Maven that everything is in place when one of the servants comes running up to me. She's out of breath, and leans over with her hands on her knees to catch it.
"Your Majesty, The King. He needs to see you. Immediately."
"I was just on my way to his office. Are you okay? Do you need some water?"
"I'm fine Your Majesty. The King is in somewhat of a mood. Don't tell him I said that though. He seemed very angry when I brought him his mail and then he threatened to fire me if I didn't find you. I would hurry up there before he tries to find you himself. " she runs off towards the servants corridors and I continue to make my way to Maven's office. Hopefully whatever he has to say won't end with me as scared as that poor servant girl.

Short chapter and it's late I know plz don't kill me I'm sorry. Lot of stuff going on in my life but in a few weeks, writing longer, more plot filled chapters will get easier for me. Plz bare with me until then. Thanks for reading! - Just Jules