Chapter 52 (Cal POV)

News got out a few days ago that the palace is hosting a festival of sorts for the royals and ambassadors of Piedmont. I'm trying to ignore it. I really am. But I know that it was a smart idea. Heal relations to help gain allies. It's something I probably would've done a long time ago. Although, seeing the reactions from people out here, I might've not. Because people talk out here. About why we would spend money on another country when ours is a mess. About how the king and queen haven't left the palace in months and about how they live in poverty while the Silvers lounge around covered in jewels. They also talk about Mare. About how she's a traitor to the resistance and about how she's not a true red and she's a blood traitor. Of course I don't say anything. Because I don't care anymore. It's all incredible clear to me now. Victoria helped me see what really happened. Mare left me for my brother and the power that comes from being his wife. She wasn't happy with fighting and settling down. She just always wanted more. So she abandoned me with no consideration for me feelings and left me alone. But I'm not alone anymore. And even though Victoria can be annoying and even suspicious at times, she's all I have after Mare. Mare left me with nothing, but now it's my job to pick up the pieces.

It's been forever I know I'm so so sorry. I just started high school and homework got crazy. Also this chapter was hard to write and kind of a short filler chapter. Hope you like it anyway! As always, thanks for reading! - Just Jules