Chapter 29 (Mare POV)

I fluff my hair a few times before picking up my ruby necklace and fastening it. I slide my engagement and wedding rings over my finger. When I turn and look at myself in the mirror, I get the same feeling I always do seeing myself dressed up. Something's wrong. But I'll play the part. For now. I grab the crown of my end table and place it on my head. I don't know if I've ever felt more out of place.
As I enter the main hall, I see Maven pacing back and forth. He looks nervous. And I don't now if it's the fact that Cal's bringing a guest or what, but I feel this urge to go comfort him. Cautiously, I walk up to him and link my arm in his. I look up at him and he nods. We line ourselves up with the doors to the the dinning room and push them open. Then we step through together.
She's sitting next to Cal, with this over confident grin on her face. She has red hair that falls effortlessly down her back and bright green eyes. Her skin is pale and there are freckles scattered across her face. When she sees us enter, she smiles at me and Maven, almost genuinely. But I can tell she's faking. As I take my seat next to Maven, I turn my eyes to Cal. He's wearing a nice suit with a long red tie. His hair has been gelled back and he's clean shaven. He looks amazing. When does he not look amazing? But the look on his face when he stares at me cancels everything I just thought. I can almost see his heart breaking behind his eyes. It's horrible to watch. There's an awkward silence as Cal and I watch each other while the girl stares at Cal and Maven stares at me.
"So Cal, can you introduce your guest please?" Maven has decided to break the silence. I almost want to kick him under the table. I don't need to hear about Cal's "guest".
"Of course, Queen Mareena and King Maven, this is Victoria." I could give her a look of pure disgust. In fact, I would love to do that. But I'm the queen. So I give her a smile before speaking.
"It's a pleasure to have you with us, Victoria." She grins and I see her grab Cal's hand under the table.
"It's a pleasure to be here."

Short chapter, sorry. School has got me really busy so I'm having a really hard time finding time to write. Thanks for reading!  - Just Jules

P.S. lol I just went through a bunch of old chapters and found a million typos. Sorry for not catching those sooner!

P. P. S. Thank u guys so much for 2k reads! 😘