Chapter 23 (Maven POV)

I don't want to do this to her. I really don't. Every word out of her mouth reminds me that she'd probably rather be anywhere but here, and the only reason that she is here, is to save him. I haven't even thought about him since the night of our wedding. I didn't think he was a threat. As long as she's happy, healthy, and safe, he'll stay away from the palace. He can't stand the thought of seeing us together. I almost want to write to him, just to remind him that I have her and he doesn't. But that would be pure cruelty. I shouldn't flaunt Mare as if she's the prize in this war in raging against my brother. She's a person. And she's my wife. If I want her to stay my wife, I know what I need to do. First, apologize. Probably with a gift and a heartfelt speech about how wrong I was. Second, pretend to give her a voice in our government. Invite her to the small meetings, but keep her out of places where she might be able to have an effect. Third, let her see him. It'll kill me to let her, but if they don't close whatever they have together, she'll never stop thinking about what could've been. And I can't have that. So I'll invite him for dinner. It's the least I can do for Mare.

So it's been a whole week since I last updated. I'm rly rly sorry and I wish I had the time to write better stuff. Rn, I'm just trying to update so it's probably gonna be short, below average quality chapters. I'm having a rough week academically but when it's over, I hope to have a lot more time to write. Thanks for your patience! 😘 - Just Jules

P.S. I'm not sure about the maven POV but I'm trying something new

P.P.S Thx for 1k reads. Y'all r the best