Chapter 51 (Mare POV)

I usually have a servant pick out my outfits for important events. Today, I choose my own. I decide on an elegant floor length baby blue dress. It screams non-threatening wife of the King. I also choose Maven's tie. It matches exactly with my dress. As we walk together to meet the royal family and ambassadors of Piedmont, I take in every inch of the palace. Everything needs to be perfect today. It just has to be. I pull a dead flower out of a vase in the entrance hall and straighten a painting of the first king and queen of Norta. A servant informs us that the family's ETA is about ten minutes. We decide to wait in the garden. One of my ladies-in-waiting delivers me a pair of white silk opera gloves. At first I'm confused. They most definitely aren't part of the outfit I picked. But then I realize it. In Norta, when the queen marries into the royal family, she wears opera gloves at events. It's just tradition. I had opera gloves on at the wedding announcement and at the wedding. Maven's mother always wore opera gloves. Anytime I saw her. I slip the silky gloves around my hands. That's it. I'm here. Or at least, the fake me is. The fake me planned an event when six months ago I would've wanted to kill anyone in the government who threw a party at a time like this. The fake me is dressed to please the rulers and government of a country that we need an alliance from. The fake me is helping get us an alliance with another country when our own is a mess. I've become everything I used to despise. And I did it completely on my own. No one told me to do this. Sure it might've been the right thing, but for me, right here and right now, the real me doesn't want to be here. The real me wants to be with Mom and Dad and my siblings and Cal. But the fake me is doing this for my country. So I throw that fake smile on, and stand up to great the Princes of Piedmont.

Hey guys! I know it's been a long time but here's another chapter. As always, I wrote this quickly, and it's somewhat unedited so excuse the typos and grammar mistakes. Thanks so much for reading! - Just Jules