Chapter 17 (Mare POV)

Maven is no where to be seen. I think he followed Cal outside after he left. I don't want to know what they're saying or doing so I sit down next to Gee who's sitting alone for the first time tonight. She's been asked to dance by every teen boy here but honestly I can't blame them. She looks gorgeous in her flowing blue dress. She's not wearing expensive jewelry, just a small necklace and pearl earrings. When she smiles, she lights up the room. It's weird, but when we were growing up, I was always the pretty one. As pretty as I could be when we were poor and Red. She was the smart one, while I was courageous. She was kind and gentle while I was daring and rough. She blended into the background. But here, she shone. The son of every nobleman had asked her to dance and I can tell she's enjoying the attention. She deserves it. She notices me and smiles.
"Hey Mare, feels like I haven't seen you all night! What's up?"
"Not much Gee, just kinda tired. I wish I could leave early and just go to bed. What about you? To tied up with all the boys?" I lift my eyebrows in a typical big sister way. She blushes before looking at me to answer.
"I guess you could say that. It's really nice, having people want you. I guess it feels good to be wanted but honestly, I don't care about any of them. They're nice and they dance with me. They ask about me childhood and about you. They want to know what it's like growing up Red or if it hurt when I fell from heaven. I really wish they would leave me alone for a bit. Well, all of them except him." She points across the room at a guy who's leaning against a wall, alone. He looks dark and brooding and really not Gee's type. I look at her with questioning eyes. "Him?"
"Yeah, he's the Prince of Piedmont. He asked me to dance just now but I got pulled away by some other guys. He seems mysterious and I kinda like him." She laughs and smiles. Looking at her, she looks like everything I wish I had when I was her age. Fun-loving, light-hearted, giggling over boys and laughing. I'm silent for a moment before responding. I place my hand on her shoulder.
"Well, go talk to him Gee. If you really like him, talk to him. Don't worry, if any other guys come around, I'll deal with them." I wink at her and pull her into a tight hug.
"Thanks Mare. I don't know what I'd do without you." She stands up and heads over to the guy. When she looks back at me, I smile and give her a huge thumbs up. I want at least one of us to be able to end up happy with someone we love.

Cute sibling moment! Anyway thx for reading! - Just Jules