Chapter 3 (Mare POV)

I return to my room and lock the door. What was I thinking telling him? I should have just gone with Maven and let him find out when everyone else did. I sit down on my bed and put my head in my hands. This is a disaster. But I know I have to go through with it. I grab a piece of paper and a pen. I start my letter to Maven.

Dear King Maven,
I've considered your offer and have decided to accept. Should I come to you or are you going to come and pick me up?

I hesitate about how to end it. But we're getting married so I decide to go with:
Love, Mare Molly Barrow

I seal the envelope and write the address of the palace on it. I give it to Farley, telling her that it's for Julian and that I need some way to send it. She says she'll deal with it and I thank her and leave. Now all I can do is wait for Maven's response.

It comes quickly. He has obviously been anxiously waiting for my letter. It says:

Dear Mare,
I'm overjoyed that you've come to your senses about what's best for your nation. I'm excited to start my new life with you. I'll come pick you up. Wait in the forest at 6:00 pm tomorrow. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Love, Maven

I feel a small lump in the envelope. I remove it and see that it's a huge engagement ring. The stone was obviously very expensive. I don't want to put it on but I know I have to. I slip it on my finger. It looks so wrong.

I go through the next day aimlessly. I wander the long corridors looking for validation that I've made the right decision. On my way out from the my room, I bump face first into Cal. He looks at me and then down to my hand. When he sees the ring, I watch as defeat fills his eyes. He turns away and begins to walk down the hallway.
"Cal!" I call out, but he doesn't even react. He just keeps walking, like I don't even exist.

YO READERS im going on vacation like rn.( literally in the airport) so I can't post that much. Happy holidays! Happy New Year!