Chapter 39 (Mare POV)

"No." As soon as it leaves my mouth, I know I've made a million mistakes. Why did I think this was a good idea. Why did I choose to marry Maven? Why did I ever leave Cal behind? And why and I about to leave him again? I don't know. I can't answer these questions in my head and it's too late for that now anyway. What's done is done. It's time to face the consequences.
He sweeps out of he room as soon as I say it, tears in his eyes. I watch as he runs out into the garden to find Victoria and Maven. When he does, he says something to Victoria and they abandon Maven in the gardens. They run back into the palace together and reappear outside again with all off their bags. They don't have much. Cal says a quick goodbye to Maven as Victoria curtsies. Cal shoots a quick look back up at my window. I can tell that he sees me but he doesn't acknowledge me at all. I turn away from the window because I don't need to watch anymore. I know what happens next. He's gonna leave. Maybe for a while, maybe forever. I can't bear to watch it. Instead I sit on my bed and start trying to accept the new life I've brought upon myself. Because it doesn't look like it'll be ending any time soon.

Short chapter rn and also prepare yourselves for a time jump soon. Not a huge one, but a substantial amount of time. Thanks for reading and as always, excuse the typos! - Just Jules