Ch. 37

My feet feel weighted down, cemented, as I struggle to lift and push them forward. Memories of that horrible night in the cabin flash through my mind - Mr. Cayle holding
Maddie while he sneered like an evil villain, me grabbing her to run as he pulled out his gun. I vividly remembered in slow motion him lifting his arm and pulling the trigger before Kyle's chest blossomed red.

I am cold and numb no longer able to feel the grasp of Joel's arm squeezing mine. The bad guys is here, we all lose now. The words sing song across my thoughts as the horrible images play. The sound of the click of shoes echo down the hallway like thunder through the sky, and somehow without even looking up, I know they're his, My Cayle's. They sound important, cocky, and fear inducing and they shut out everything else.

As we get to the end of the cross hallway I get a glimpse of him, just barely, but it's enough. Kyle's dad is coming around the corner. He's being followed by a woman in a red power suit with a hospital badge dangling from her lapel. She takes two steps to his one trying to keep up and her face is as red as her suit as he yells at her about incompetence and the power he has to take her job.

Despite my efforts to keep up with Joel I turn around to watch the woman chase him down the hallway and wonder just how many lives a person like Mr. Cayle will destroy in his lifetime. Joel pushes me into the elevator and whispers "hold it together rookie" as the door closes. And I'm trying. With swirling thoughts and overrun emotions and the pain of knowing Mr. Cayle has shown up and ruined our plans, I try.

Joel pushes me out the front door as a white van screeches to the curb in front of me almost knocking me off my feet. The sliding side door opens and Joel pushes me in it. I realize what's happening too late and before I can fight back, the door is closing.

The van pulls forward and I fall backward stumbling to get some grounding and let my eyes adjust to the dimly lot interior. Arms help pull me up and I rip off the sunglasses and see a sight that finally gives me a smile large enough to match Joel's. Val!

I tackle her in an embrace and she laughs as the van swerves around the parking lot. I hear sirens outside getting closer and Val pulls me back down toward the floor. Finally, we park and Val lets me go.

"I didn't think I'd see you again Cassie! You look great." Her voice is squeaky and joyful and she looks amazing. Rested and put together and above all, happy to see me.

"How did you get here? How did you know I'd be coming out? Is everything Ok?"

She grabs my hand and clasps it. "Of course, I'm just here for to deliver my best friend a few things and hug her one last time before she goes into hiding."

She winks at me and I hear someone from the front of the van clear their throat and see Agnus in the front seat with a beaming smile on her face.

"You did it kid. Last leg before the finish. I knew you were more like me than your parents believed. Hell of a fighter."

I crawl forward on the leaf covered van carpeting and throw myself on her arm. It's impossible to believe they're here despite the fact that I'm touching them. Tears come, ugly tears of washed up dreams and broken hope.

"There there Cassie. Pull it together. You can't fall apart now. You're too close to the end. This is the fun part."

I look out the tinted windshield and see people filtering out of the building and filling the lot. Fire trucks and police cars with flashing lights line the front of the building and I wipe my face never letting go of my grip on the arm of Agnus. I duck my head below the dashboard and offer her my best attempt at a smile.