Ch. 29

I jumped from the bed and grabbed Maddie who was now screaming from the playpen as Kyle stumbled to put his pants on and grabbed a gun out of the nightstand.  Buster stood stoically in front of me and Maddy.  From the small plug in nightlight I could see that his tail was tucked and his fur bristled up ready for trouble.

My body started involuntarily bouncing the baby and I shushed her gently reeling from  a wave of guilt for waking her up by screaming. First I take her from the only home she's ever known and now she's in a danger zone of screaming and strangers peeping in the windows.  I move to the other side of the room holding her firmly and hissing at Kyle. "Why do you have a gun?"

"We're on the run remember?  I didn't know what kind of places we'd be staying in. And I need to be able to protect you!"

In the dark we waited for broken glass or the sound of the door being opened. The baby settled and time seemed to pause. Kyle peered out the dark window.

"Are you sure you saw someone?  Could it have been a dream? Or a shadow?"

I took a deep breath, I didn't want to be one of those women. The kind that ignored their instinct for trouble and got everyone killed.  At the same time I was dead asleep, and somewhere new after a really stressful day. There was only one thing to do, I grabbed Buster's collar and headed to the door.

"Only one way to find out."

Kyle grabbed my arm and yanked me back into the bedroom.

"No. You aren't going out there. And neither is Buster. If someone's out there they can stay out there until morning. I'll stay awake and on the couch. With the gun."

I was about to argue when Buster began to growl at the bedroom door. He pulled himself away from my grip and began barking and scratching furiously at the door.  I froze. I couldn't seem to make my muscles move. My brain was screaming to take the baby and sneak her into the closet but I knew hiding wouldn't change or fix anything.

Kyle slid the gun into a loaded position and pointed it at the door and made his way to stand beside us by the nightlight. Everything was still and silent. Buster stopped barking and cocked his head lifting his ears.  A muffled pair of voices broke the silence and Kyle's posture went rigid.

"It's my dad".

I felt his muscles relax, or more like deflate. Anger welled up inside of me. I couldn't imagine getting caught the first night. We'd planned perfectly. There's no way Kyle's dad could have followed us. My thoughts swirled around the blank spot I knew I was missing.

We sat on the edge of the bed and waited. Kyle's tucked the gun in the back of his pants at the waist and put his arm around me and the baby.

"Did you tell him Kyle?"

The question hung in silence. I hated myself for asking. I hated that after all this time I still didn't trust that someone could love me and give up everything. Maybe my body was well, but inside a part of me was still broken. I knew that when I felt him tremble beside me. I am a terrible person.

"I'm sorry Kyle. I know you didn't. I'm just looking for an easy answer that doesn't make me feel like a failure."

He put his left hand on my arm and stroked Maddie's head with the other.

"I love you Cassie. And I know he's a horrible person. Greedy and self righteous and he'd sell my soul if it got him ahead in life.  That's not me. I wouldn't gamble all this. You, the baby, a chance to have a life that means something."

I leaned forward and kissed him. His cheeks were wet and his kiss salty. Suddenly the door burst open and a flashlight beam sliced into the darkness.

"Good morning son. I trust you slept well. Cassie, it's about time we stopped the cat and mouse game isn't it?"

The lights turned on and there he stood. The man I built up to be such an enemy. He looked intimidating, but not all powerful.  He swaggered up to the bed. Three piece suit without a wrinkle despite the hour and the long drive.

His hands outstretched toward the baby and I held her tighter. He put his face close to hers and she smiled causing him to take a shocked step back. Crossing his arms across his chest he glared at Kyle.

"You've made this so difficult Kyle.  It was supposed to be a simple operation.  I always knew you were the weak link in the business, and the family."

Kyle said nothing. His body stiff and his eyes staying on the floor. I linked my hands in his.

"Here's what's gonna happen kids. I'm gonna take the baby. She is mine after all, I paid for her fair and square.  You're father was a loyal employee Cassie. If it weren't for your health crisis this whole thing would have been different.  It should have in fact. Despite what Kyle has led you to believe I'm not a monster. But this is the opportunity of a lifetime. This baby will change the world."

I looked at Maddie's face, that sweet chubby face that didn't ask to be made or born or entered into this messy world as a guinea pig.

"I'm sure my father wanted to change the world. And I'm sure you think you're doing the right thing now, but you aren't. Maddie isn't an experiment. She isn't a lab rat or a recipe for DNA. She's a baby. A living breathing human baby who deserves so much more than whatever you're planning for her."

Mr. Cayle smiled. It was a creepy smile that made me want to turn away but I wouldn't.

"This isn't Hollywood or a good book Cassie. Real life isn't black and white. Of course we don't want to hurt a child. She's potential. A roadmap to a better society. She's a recipe for helping thousands of parents have children without disability and disease. This baby is the future."

He cupped her face and awkwardly lifted her into his arms where she began to squirm and cry.

"We have a set of parents waiting to take care of her. Our plans for her include nothing more than scans and blood tests and monitoring. She will be loved and cared for and financially stable."

I watched Kyle's face. Each point making him flinch. I wanted Maddie to have love and stability and parents who loved her. No one could give her that like I could. I was sending every vibe I could to Kyle to speak. Say anything to help me feel like we had a chance.
But he sat defeated, his eyes burning a hole in the floor.

"I don't believe you. My father didn't want you to have Maddie. He didn't expect me to have her, but you--he hid her from you."

He groaned and rolled his eyes.

"He thought you were dying Cassie. He thought this baby could rewind time. He was overwhelmed with saving the memories of a life he loved. That can make a man crazy. I know-- my own son turned against me. Filling your head with conspiracy theory lies to get a girl."

He kicked Kyle's boot and bent over close to his ear.

"Are you that desperate Kyle? Have you been that neglected that you filled this poor sick girls head with lies to keep her to yourself? What did you tell her? That we were going to play Frankenstein? Kill her and the baby and dismantle their DNA? Did scaring her into your arms make you feel manly? Is all this to spite me? Or are you that screwed up?"

Tears flowed from Kyle's eyes and my mind spun. I tried keeping my breathing calm and my body relaxed but doubts crept in. Had Kyle been lying the whole time?

My body shook and emotions rolled like a tsunami.  Mr. Cayle handed me the baby and retrieved his phone from his pocket and started texting.

"You did one thing right Kyle. Keeping your phone on made it easy. Was that because you were unsure about running or because you wanted to get caught?"

His sneer was smug and he leaned over to me and put his hand on my shoulder softly. 

"Cassie. You look sad. Don't be. Kyle is a charmer. He always has been. We will make sure you and GN5...., I mean, Maddie stay in very close contact. In fact, I have a proposition for you."

###############
Looks like the gig is up.  Mr. Cayle sounds reasonable to me. Maybe he's a nice guy who's just been misunderstood.