Ch. 20

After Val left I rummaged through the attic looking for dad's old service backpack. I remembered him saying how it was like Felix the cats magical bag, pockets and spaces that seemed to swallow up as many items as you could put in it.

I didn't know exactly what I'd put in there, the things I couldn't live without we're basically Buster and a baby I'd never met.  Everything else was pretty much expendable. Buster rummaged through some boxes until his nose was dust covered and he began to sneeze throwing me into a fit of giggles that made me sneeze starting the whole cycle over.

I found the backpack, rolled up tightly in a box with my dad's uniform, photos, papers from the government, and a handbook on rules and regulations with written side notes. It's weird to think of my dad having been in the service. Pledging allegiance and marching for miles. He got the typical mold of science bean counter in my lifetime. Playing it straight, boring as they come and not a risk taker.... well, that's obviously not true.

Again I shake my head at the mystery of who he really was. Under the lightning bug and fairy stories, stray dog rescuing, man who always made me feel like I could accomplish anything.

Buster bolted down the stairs barking and I scooted myself farther along the low passage room to the tiny window.  Kyle was standing on the porch, hands in his pockets, shoulders sagging.  His face changed when he heard Buster barking, a smile, spread and his shoulders straightened.

For a brief moment I thought about staying here, surrounded by old and forgotten things hidden and out of the way.  Kyle complicate things. He complicated me. I wasn't sure what to say or do when it can't to him, but there was no doubt I always felt better around him.

I closed the panel for the attic tightly before I answered the door leaving the pack, and everything else in its place.  No reason to let him know I was starting to get ready, Kyle would have a life, as long as I could keep my mouth shut. And I probably could, I was my dad's daughter.

I had to wait for Buster to get his hello first, the thinking of his tail echoing through the room as he swirled himself around Kyle's legs making sure he couldn't ignore the greeting.

"Hey Cass, hope you don't mind me coming over. I called at lunch but didn't hear back, guess I got a little nervous."

Buster ran to retrieve a ball to bring as an offering and we both laughed as he placed it on Kyle's shoe.

"Oh yeah, sorry about that. I went to the coffee shop, and then I got to visit with Val for a bit. I'm a sucker for girl time."

He smiled as he wrapped his arms around me in a hug. At first I kept myself still and standing tall but the moment my core met his my resolve ended and I leaned in, accepting the contact that meant so much. I smelled fabric softener and soap and closed my eyes to try and remember the feeling, this was what I wanted to pack in the backpack, the feeling of holding on to someone and being wrapped in their arms.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out to eat, or see a movie, or anything really.  What's up with Busters nose?"

I looked at Buster who now wore a grey mustache with tiny cobwebs hanging from his whiskers.

"We were doing some deep cleaning. And yes! I'd love to go out. But can we take Buster to Agnes's house?  I don't want him home alone in the evening anymore."

Kyle's face crumpled like I'd stabbed him, I knew he felt horrible about his dad's role in the break in, but saving his feelings wouldn't help Buster if anyone came in again.

"Of course. I'm so sorry about all of this Cassie."

"Don't be silly, you have nothing to do with it. Let me just wash my face and throw on a clean shirt. You put the vest and leash on Buster ok?"

In just a few minutes we were climbing in the truck to Agnes's house. Kyle and I stayed on the porch determined not to get sucked into staying, I loved Agnes, but I wanted to spend some time alone with Kyle while I could.

When we got back in the truck to leave Buster barked and pulled at the leash until Agnes walked into the house with him.

"Looks like he doesn't want to miss time with you either."

Kyle took hold of my hand and his fingers opened and closed between mine. His cheek worked back and forth and I could see a pulsing in his neck. I knew how he felt, my insides were dancing and telling me to nudge closer, but at the same time I knew getting close would just make leaving him harder.

We pulled in to a restaurant lit up softy with ropes of twinkling lights. It was a small building surrounded by tree's and as we got out he pulled me toward the grounds away from the door.  Under a huge weeping willow was a small table and two chairs covered in white linen.

"What's this?  Are you kidding me?" I gasped standing frozen in the grass.

"We aren't going to have a lot of opportunities to date Cassie, and I know you already missed out on so much. Let's have one night of perfect. Just one where we don't think about anything except tonight."

He pulled the chair out for me and I covered my lap with the napkin. I couldn't believe I had jeans and a peasant top on!  This was Cinderella style. I should have been in a dress with heels.

"Stop worrying about yourself." He laughed. "It's just me and you. And the waiter. You look beautiful.  It's just a meal."

I stopped fidgeting with the napkin and listened to the sounds of the afternoon.  It was calm and peaceful and birds made a chorus of music that couldn't be beat as a date soundtrack. I couldn't believe he had done this. The waiter arrived with out meals and I looked puzzled.

"I had to pre-order. And in a hurry while you changed. They don't usually serve outside. It took some truth stretching, and a little prayer you'd actually go through with leaving the house on another date, but totally worth it."

I lifted the lid on the plate to find linguini with seafood. It smelled like heaven and I giggled as he slurped a noodle.

We ate talking about normal life events, not a word about babies or running or family, it was two normal people on a date. Magic.

When we got back in the car I was on cloud nine.

"Can you stay tonight Kyle?"  I couldn't stop myself, the words just tumbled out.

He nodded and we stopped by Anges's on the way to get Buster. Kyle stayed in the truck while I ran to the door where Buster was already barking to get out.

"Kyle has to get going, thanks so much for watching Buster. It was so nice to get out."

Agnes hugged me and winked. "I would say I hope you had fun, but I can see you glowing even with these old eyes!"

I clipped the leash to Buster and turned to leave when I felt Agnes put her hand on my arm.

"You come by tomorrow. We're gonna talk, about protection and babies."

I laughed out loud.

"I'm not a kid Agnes, I know all about the birds and the bees."

Her face scrunched into a mass of lines and she half closed the door.

"Not that kind, but you'd better know that too!"

I started to turn around and ask her what she meant. There was no way she could know about the baby or my plans. But she closed the door and turned out the porch light.

I stood between the house and the truck with Buster pulling me Kyle's way. He was right. I would see Agnes tomorrow and get to the bottom of her code, tonight was too amazing to spoil.

*****************
I had to give her an amazing night. She deserved it. Happy Monday everyone.