Ch. 35

June opened the door of their bedroom and together we walked through it to the back door which I assumed was a closet. The room was on the small side but tidy, the bed neatly made and no clothes in piles on the floor. Pictures lined the dresser, smiling toothless kids and families with arms draped around each other caught at the perfect moment. I paused to smile at a small blonde boy hanging upside down from a tree branch by his knees. June stood below frowning, arms outstretched ready to catch him but the boys face was absolute joy.

June laughed as she reached for the frame. "That's Lucas, the daredevil. Half my grey hair is from his lack of fear."

I ran my finger across the glass and smiled. It was impossible not to- Lucas looked like he had taken on the world and won, it was what I hoped to see in Maddie'a face everyday. The joy of fearless winning.

June looped her arm around mine and pulled me toward the door. When she opened it I gasped, it was a long narrow room that stretched out at least ten feet. Both sides of it were lined by a desk like countertop and it was filled. A large computer sat on the end and next to that a printer. Monitor screens, something that looked like a cb radio, and a few machines I couldn't guess the reasons for blinked around the room. Above the shelves were shadow boxes of certificates and medals and the back wall was a large sliding case of guns.

Somehow I had entered the twilight zone and couldn't move my feet to walk past the doorway. What kind of people had I stumbled across? I scanned the walls seeing pictures and certificates all made out to Tom, the biggest pic being him shaking the hand of our former president both smiling in the Oval Office.

My feet finally listened to my brain and I got closer to the certificate which was an award for bravery and faithful service to the country.

"Was Tom a spy?" I asked.

June walked past me and started booting up the computer.

"No, he was special ops military until he took a bullet to the hip and then moved over to secret service. He was active twenty six years. Still goes back from time to time for big events, but for the most part he dreams of reliving the excitement of the chase. He keeps up to date with his buddies in this room and does some freelance work with them. You know the old saying, you're never x-military and you never retire from your service brothers or your unit until you're done breathing."

I didn't know the saying, or anything about military life. My dad's company was secure but when you retired from there you got a nice dinner and a watch with a handshake. No life commitment that is heard of, but I wondered if that held true for other fields.

"I've never heard of it, but friends for life sure seems like a good thing. Is his whole unit retired? Where are they now?"

June got a mischievous smile and pushed me toward the chair in front of the computer.

"If I know anything, they're in route on their way here. Brace yourself, these guys like nothing better than being useful and getting the job done."

I could see her smiling in the reflection of the computer and a chill ran up my back.

"What? I don't need a troupe. I just want to talk to Kyle and get to where I'm going. I'm not trying to cause trouble for anyone."

My voice was squeaky which I hated, but the thought of Tom and his friends getting involved scared me. I didn't want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt.

"Tom spent the night checking out GenTech, and getting details on its shady dealings. They're into some pretty serious stuff, and the deal with the military isn't on the level. Looks like our military isn't the only one buying their information."