The End Of Time {Pt. 1}, Pt. 2

"Oh, we had some good times, didn't we though? I mean, all those ATMOS things, and planets in the sky, and me with that paint gun. I keep seeing things, Doctor and {Y/N}. This face at night."

"Who are you?" the Doctor asks.

"I'm Wilfred Mott."
"No. People have waited hundreds of years to find us and then you manage it in a few hours."

"Well, I'm just lucky I suppose."

"No, we keep on meeting, Wilf. Over and over again like something's still connecting us."

"What's so important about me?"

"Exactly. Why you? I'm going to die" the Doctor says.

"Well, so am I, one day" Wilf replies.

"Don't you dare" {Y/N} says smiling slightly.

"All right, I'll try not to."

"But I was told. He will knock four times. That was the prophecy. Knock four times, and then..." the Doctor grabs {Y/N}'s hand.

"Yeah, but I thought, when I saw you before, you said your people could change, like, your whole body" Wilf says.

"We can still die. If we're killed before regeneration, then we're dead. Even then, even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away, and I'm dead. What?" the Doctor asks noticing Wilf's look, Wilf has spotted Donna outside in the street getting out of her car.

"I'm sorry, but I had to. Look, can't you two make her better?"

"Stop it" {Y/N} says.

"No, but you're both so clever. Can't you bring her memory back? Look, just go to her now. Go on, just run across the street. Go up and say hello."

"If she ever remembers us, her mind will burn, and she will die" {Y/N} says, they hear Donna speak to the traffic warden.

"Don't you touch this car."

"She's not changed" the Doctor says.

"Nah. Oh, there he is" a man meets Donna "Shaun Temple. They're engaged. Getting married in the spring."

"Another wedding" {Y/N} says.

"Yeah."

"Hold on, she's not going to be called Noble-Temple? That sounds like a tourist spot" the Doctor says.

"No, it's Temple-Noble."

"Right. Is she happy? Is he nice?" {Y/N} asks.

"Yeah, he's sweet enough. He's a bit of a dreamer. Mind you, he's on minimum wage, she's earning tuppence, so all they can afford is a tiny little flat. And then sometimes I see this look on her face, like she's so sad, but she can't remember why."

"She's got him."

"She's making do."

"Aren't we all?"

"Yeah, how about you two? Who have you got now?"

"No one. Travelling alone. We thought it was better. But we did some things. It went wrong. We need..." the Doctor starts crying, {Y/N} looks at him sadly, rubbing her thumb over the back of his hand.

"Oh, my word. I'm sorry" Wilf says.

"Merry Christmas" the Doctor sniffles.

"Yeah, and you two."

"Look at us."

"But don't you see? You know, you need her, Doctor and {Y/N}. I mean, look. Wouldn't she make you two laugh again? Good old Donna?" Donna and Shaun drive away "eh?"

"And so, it came to pass that the players took their final places, making ready the events that were to come. The madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes, little knowing of the glory he would achieve. While his saviours looked upon the wilderness, in the hope of changing his inevitable fate. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen. As Earth rolled onwards into night, the people of that world did sleep, and shiver, somehow knowing that dawn would bring only one thing. The final day."

*Time skip*

Night. The Doctor and {Y/N} walk towards the Master, who fires bolts of energy at them from his hands. He misses, and sets fires burning behind them. The third try hits the Doctor squarely in the chest, narrowly missing {Y/N}. Finally, the energy stops and the Doctor falls to his knees, {Y/N} catches him, setting him on the ground gently.

"I had estates. Do you remember our father's land back home? Pastures of red grass, stretching far across the slopes of Mount Perdition. We used to run across those fields all day, calling up at the sky. Look at us now" the Master says looking at {Y/N}.

"All that eloquence. But how many people have you killed?" she asks.

"I am so hungry."

"Your resurrection went wrong. That energy. Your body's ripped open. Now you're killing yourself" she says standing.

"That human Christmas out there. They eat so much. All that roasting meat, cakes and red wine. Hot, fat, blood, food. Pots, plates of meat, and flesh, and grease, and juice, and baking, burnt, sticky hot skin. Hot. It's so hot."

"Stop it" she growls.

"Sliced. Sliced. Sliced."

"Stop it."

"It's mine. It's mine. It's mine to eat and eat and eat."

"Stop it. What if I ask you for help? There's more at work tonight than us three."

"Oh yeah?"

"We've been told something is returning" she says, as the Doctor gets up, still in some pain.

"And here I am."

"No, something more" the Doctor says.

"But it hurts."

"We were told the end of time."

"It hurts. {Y/N}, the noise. The noise in my head, {Y/N}. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Stronger than ever before. Can't you hear it?"

"I'm sorry."

"Listen, listen, listen, listen. Every minute, every second, every beat of my hearts, there it is, calling to me. Please listen" the four beats being played out by an iron bar on an oil drum somewhere.

"We can't hear it."

"Listen" the Master mind-melds with the Doctor. The Doctor hears the beats and pulls away "what?"

"But..."

"What!"

"I heard it. But there's no noise. There never has been. It's just your insanity. What is it? What's inside your head?" the Doctor asks.

"It's real. It's real. It's real!" the Master flies off, the Doctor and {Y/N} run after him "all these years, you thought I was mad. King of the wasteland. But something is calling me, Doctor and {Y/N}. What is it? What is it? What is it?" a bright light shines down on the Master, then a second one illuminates the Doctor while a third illuminates {Y/N}. A trio of SAS types come down on ropes, grab the Master and inject him with something to knock him out.

"Don't!" {Y/N} shouts, others fire their guns at the Doctor and {Y/N} to make them stay back, and the Master is hoisted up into the helicopter. The Doctor and {Y/N} run "let him go!" {Y/N} and the Doctor are shot in the back.

---

~Bread 🍞