The Waters Of Mars Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Captain, we need you back here" Steffi says.

"Just tell me that Maggie is contained. Can you confirm, Ed?" Adelaide asks.

"Confirmed. She's locked in."

"Keep surveillance till I get back, and close down all water supplies. All pipes and outlets. Don't consume anything. Have you got that, everyone? That's an order. Don't drink the water. Don't even touch it. Not one drop."

"Can you talk? Human beings are sixty percent water, which makes them the perfect host" {Y/N} says.

"What for?"

"I don't know. We never will. Because me and the Doctor have got to go. Whatever's started here, we can't see it to the end. We can't" {Y/N} says shaking her head, Andy and Tarak start gushing water at the airlock seals.

"This thing's airtight, yeah?" the Doctor asks.

"And therefore watertight" Adelaide says.

"It depends how clever the water is" {Y/N} says, there is a sudden bang.

"They're fusing the system."

"Abandon ship!" the Doctor says, they run out into the walkway. Andy and Tarak get through the airlock and chase them. They get back to where Gadget is standing guard. {Y/N} gets out her sonic screwdriver.

"{Y/N}, we haven't got time" Adelaide says.

"They can run faster than us. We need a lift" {Y/N} says, whatever she is doing gives Roman a jolt.

"Hey!"

"Sorry" {Y/N} says.

"Gadget gadget."

"Get on behind me" {Y/N} says kneeling down leaving enough room for both the Doctor and Adelaide to get on.

"That thing goes at two miles an hour."

"Not any more. Trust me" {Y/N} smiles.

"Gadget gadget."

"Gadget gadget" {Y/N} replies, the Doctor and Adelaide get on and flames come out of Gadget's exhaust Gadget zooms off leaving burning tyre marks.

"The Central Dome airlocks have got Hardinger seals. There's no way they can get in" Adelaide says.

"Come on. Come on" {Y/N} mutters.

"Gadget gadget."

"Come on. Come on" the Doctor says.

"I thought you hated robots" Adelaide says.

"I do" the Doctor replies, they get Gadget into the airlock just before Andy and Tarak arrive.

"We're safe. It's hermetically sealed. They can't get in."

"Water is patient, Adelaide. Water just waits. It wears down the clifftops, the mountains, the whole of the world. Water always wins. Come on" {Y/N} says.

"Biodome Tunnel is out of bounds. Andy and Tarak are infected. Repeat, infected. Make no contact. And if they make the slightest move, tell me. I'm going to the Medical Dome."

"Blimey, it's a distance. You could do with bikes in this place" the Doctor says.

"Every pound in weight equals three tons of fuel."

"Yeah, I know. But bikes."

"Has that door got a Hardinger seal?" Adelaide asks, looking at Ed.

"No, just basic" Ed replies.

"Then the moment she heads for the door, we evacuate. Got that?" Adelaide asks.

"Pulse is low. Electrical activity in the brain seems to be going haywire" Ed says.

"Can she talk?"

"Don't know. She was talking before we noticed the change, but..." Yuri trails off.

"Maggie, can you hear me? Do you know who I am? Your commanding officer, Captain Adelaide Brooke. Can you tell me what happened?"

"Hoorghwall in schtochman ahn warrellinsh och fortabellan iin hoorgwahn" {Y/N} says.

"What language is that?" Ed asks.

"Ancient North Martian" the Doctor replies.

"Don't be ridiculous" Adelaide says.

"It's like she recognised it" Ed says.

"And her eyes are different. They're clear, like she's closer to human" {Y/N} says.

"Not close enough for me."

"Where do you get your water from?" the Doctor asks.

"The ice field. That's why we chose the crater. We're on top of an underground glacier."

"Tons of water. Marvellous" {Y/N} says.

"But every single drop is filtered. It's screened. It's safe" Yuri says.

"Looks like it, yeah" the Doctor says.

"If something was frozen down there. A viral life form held in the ice for all those years" Ed says.

"Look at her mouth. All blackened, like there's some sort of fission. This thing, whatever it is, doesn't just hide in water, it creates water. Tell me what you want" {Y/N} asks.

"She was looking at the screen. At Earth. She wanted Earth. A world full of water."

"Captain, with me" Adelaide and Ed turn their backs on Maggie and walk away.

"I'm sorry, but it's an unknown infection and it's spreading. That demands Action Procedure One."

"Do you think I don't know that?"

"I think you need reminding."

"Yeah."

"Well, at least I'm good for something."

"Now and again."

"That's almost a compliment. Things must be serious."

"Sorry, sorry, but, Action One, that means evacuation, yeah?" the Doctor asks interrupting.

"We're going home. This is Captain Brooke. I'm declaring Action One. Repeat to all crewmembers, this is Action One with immediate effect. Evacuate the base."

---

~Bread 🍞