You bet

—present—

My stomach growls angrily at me. They "forgot" to feed me again.
I bitterly bite my lip and roll over on my side, pulling up the thin scratchy cloth that's supposed to serve as a blanket to keep me warm over my shoulder, leaving my feet in the bitter cold.

Even in a place as cold and bleak as this I can still hold onto what little hope I have...hope that I'll see my love again. I smile in the darkness at nothing in particular as a fuzzy warmth rises in my stomach and my chest seems like it's about to implode with the force laying in my heart.

I slowly drift off to a peaceful sleep and dream pleasant dreams about the man I've devoted my life to.

—begin flashback—

After Eren showed me my room he left, saying he had other priorities to focus on and he walked away, leaving me with a simple "if you have any questions you know where my room is."

I frown to myself as I sit on the edge of my bed. My mind is racing with even more questions than before...he didn't do a very good job of explaining things to me.

I sigh and let my eyes ghost over the minimalistic objects in my room.

The floors are bare cement and the walls are plain white with a few small unidentifiable stains littering the lower portions.

I frown and tear my gaze away from the brownish stains to the furniture around me.
The room has two small twin beds, both have a blue striped comforter and a single plain white pillow.

Next to the bed there is a small wobbly table with a single wooden chair next to it and a large chest under it.

'Perfect.' I think to myself sarcastically.
I left everything behind to run to the rescue of my old friend to be treated like a stranger and be unceremoniously thrown in a tiny room with only a bed and table to accommodate my needs.

I decide not to dwell on all the things I left behind in London and instead I focus on unpacking my small briefcase filled with all the necessities I would need for my stay here.

Another deep sigh escapes from behind my lips.

-a few minutes later-

I hear a knock on my door as a large body lets themselves into my "room".

"Hello, Levi."
I look up to see Erwin standing with impeccable posture and his hands behind his large back.

I scoff at him and rise from the bed I was laying on before the intrusion.
"Have you come to ignore me again?" I ask with venom laced in my low voice.

He looks at me confused before it twists into one of understanding.
"Ahhh, I apologize for my behavior but I'm here now to answer any questions you might have."

I stare at him suspiciously, my eyes look at him up and down, examining him closely.
"Why did you call me here...your apprentice said that you wanted me as your advisor?"
I say crossing my arms across my chest.

He smiles and opens his mouth to talk. "Eren was correct." His smile drops and he gracefully walks over to the other bed, making almost no noise in the process as he sits down the the edge, facing me.

"As kids you were always so far ahead of me...everything I accomplished you were able to have already mastered..."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion.
What is he trying to do here?

"You are the smartest person I know..." his statement hangs in the air before he finally opens his mouth again.
"...and I need your help."

I nod slowly, knowing that I would do anything for my oldest friend.

He smiles, the wrinkles around his eyes flexing and disappearing as his smile leaves his lips.

"We're losing the war." He says quietly as his head hangs low.
"I need someone to help me...I'm lost...people are dying and nothing is changing."

He wipes his face with his hands and rests his elbow on his knees.
"I just want you to stay here...only for a little while and provide your expertise, help me understand because I'm missing something."
He looks at me pleadingly with desperation in his eyes.

"God damn Erwin, of course I'd help." I say as he stands and I give him a large, long overdue hug.

"Thank you Levi." He simply says into my ear

The hug lasts for a few moments and I almost feel my body mourning the loss of body heat when he lets go.
"I'll be sure that your stay here is as comfortable as possible...did Eren show you around already?"

He sits down on the same bed as me and wraps his arms around my shoulder in a friendly gesture.
I lean into the touch and I feel as though I'm transported back in time when we were only kids playing out on the playground together.

"Actually...I have a question." I turn and make eye contact with Erwin beside me and he flashes me a nod.

"How old is Eren?"

Erwin frowns and looks at his feet.
"That boy has been through so much...it's best that you stay away from him."

He bites his lip.
"He's...complicated."

I furrow my brow and decide to drop the question before I make Erwin uncomfortable.
"He seems so attached to you." I say to Erwin who nods to my discovery.

He leans back on his elbows.
"I think he sees me as a father figure...or at least someone to look up to and admire." He smiles and I clear my throat to speak.

"I wouldn't be surprised since you saved him."

Erwin's breath catches and he whips his head to stare at me.
"How did you kno-" I cut him off with my own statement.

"Erwin, I have a PHD in human psychology...I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't uncover at least one dirty little secret..."

He gives me a shocked expression and suddenly a smirk ghosts over his face.
"Your one scary mother fucker ya know?"

I only smile back.
"You fucking bet."

Yay! I'm loving writing this story so far. Hope you enjoy reading it!