Memories

Levi's POV. 1942.
I stare out the car window, looking at all the trees blur as they pass me, my mind filled with trivial anxieties about my approaching doom as I fidget with the cuff on my blazer nervously.

The car slows down as we pull into a long winding driveway with a large black gate separating me from the busy military base only a few meters from our stationary vehicle.

I am startled as my door swings wide open.
"Good afternoon sir Ackerman."
A large man with strait blonde hair and many different scars carved into his face approaches me with impeccable posture and he holds up his hand to me in a greeting.
I shake his hand with a firm grip and give him my signature smirk.

"Cut that proper shit Erwin."
He booms with laughter and roughly hits my shoulder leaving it with a slightly burning sensation.

"Ahhh, I missed you Levi!"
I smile at my long time friend and he wraps me in his strong embrace.
"It's been too long...how have you been?" He asks me.

"Let's not talk about that right now... what's important is you... I heard you started dating someone."

"Wait!"
Im broken out of my story when the bigger guard stops me.
"Why didn't you wanna talk about it?"

I sigh and wrap myself in a scratchy blanket to try and protect myself from the bitter cold as it nips at my arms and the part of torso that are exposed thanks to the holes in my prison uniform.

"I had just broken up with a long time girlfriend and I was grieving... I guess now I'm thankful that she broke up with me, because I would never have met Eren."

The bigger one smiles softly at me.
"You seem to really love that boy...what was he like?" Asks the bigger man

"Augustus, I don't wanna hear about this homosexuals pig lover..."

"Shut up John!....sorry about him." Augustus says pointing a stubby finger at John in the chair next to him who just huffs, blowing a strand of oily black hair in the air before it falls right back into place.

I just decide to continue my story.

"Eren was a sweetheart, he always tried to make everyone happy, but at the same time he was so stubborn and had a short fuse....I remember he always got into fights with a private named jean, Eren never had the heart to turn him in though. So it just continued on and on.....I would just watch in amusement at their antics, of course I would stop it if it went a little far and the next day they would be friends again."

Augustus throws another smile at me.

"Later that private, would turn me in for my homosexuality."

His smile disappears and is replaced with a tense frown.
"Why would he do that?" He asks.

"I don't know...No matter how smart I become or how much knowledge I gain, I will never fully understand the inner workings of the human mind...it's such a confusing world we live in."

I try to swallow but my dry scratchy throat prevents that and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth in a cry for any liquid to quench my thirst.

I open my dry cracked lips to speak.
"Anyway...I never did actually start the relationship...Eren did, even though it was kind of an accident"

"How was it an accident?" Asks John curiously.

I'm about to answer but I hear the loud buzz, signaling the door opening.
"That's a story for another time."

The door swings open and a large man steps in.
"Augustus and John. You are relived if your duty...be back here at 6am sharp."
He turns stiffly and walks out, his loud boots clapping the floor at an obnoxiously loud pace.

"Goodbye Levi, I will be looking forward to tomorrow." Augustus says getting up from the chair, his knees cracking and popping in protest.

They leave and are replaced by two more guards who stroll up and down the rows of rooms restricted to the free world by a mere set of metal bars, not paying any attention to me.

I bring out my picture of Eren, he's smiling at the camera, his bright white teeth amplified by the gritty black and white photo but the shitty quality of the photo can't dim the vibrancy of his sea foam green eyes.
"Goodnight, my love." 

I kiss the picture and put it back in my pocket.

Yes, I know it's been forever since I last updated...but at least I got something out before this story is forgotten about.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Fun fact about me: I have 2 dogs.
One is a golden retriever named sandy and the other is a Boston terrier named Lucas.