Chapter 45

Alex's P.O.V

It was dark now, and Jackson was playing with Hope and Shawn in the hideout. He had Hope's stuffed bunny in his hands, and he was making it dance in front of their faces, much to their enjoyment. I looked at him somberly.

"The pack's gathering for the funeral. Even Stefan, which is kind of shocking. They're just waiting on one more." I ran my fingers over the carved initials on the wall. "You, Aiden, and Ollie used to hang out a lot here, huh?" I asked him.

"In a way, we were like brothers. Always looking out for each other." Jackson said with a smile. I smiled at him, and Jackson took a deep breath.

"Alex, before you came to New Orleans with Hayley, our pack chose me, not just to lead them, but to stand for them. We've lost too many to the Mikaelsons this year, and Elijah wants you to go back to their family when this is all over. Now your brothers may be able to live with that, but I can't live under Klaus' roof and be the Alpha this pack deserves." Jackson said and I looked at him. 

"What are you saying, Jack?" I asked him worried.

"I care about you, Hope, and Shawn. But, I need to know who your family is. If you want to go back to the Mikaelsons, I can't go with you. If they really are your family, then I gotta protect my own. But if you want to go to Mystic Falls, I'll stand by you and lead the pack there with you and your brother." Jackson explained. I was about to cry, and Jackson gave me a weak smile before kissing me on the forehead.

"I'll give you some time to think." He said. Jackson left and headed back to the woods, where the pack had gathered with torches for Aidan's funeral. After a moment, I joined them. I saw Stefan waiting for me while Hayley had her fingers intertwined with Jackson's.

"I don't need time, Jack." He looked up at me as Stefan walked over to me. "I spent my whole life searching for this part of my family, and I found Hayley, then you, and the pack. We need to do right by them, starting with Aiden." Stefan smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Plus, I would be making up for all the time I lost with my mom and my brothers." I explained to them.

I turned when I heard someone approaching us. It was Josh, who looked devastated and uncomfortable as the werewolves surround him and looked at him suspiciously. Several of the wolves stood in his way so he couldn't come any farther.

"I told Josh where he could find us." I said to Jackson. Jackson headed toward Josh and the wolves.

"Let him through!" Jackson said and held his hand out towards Josh, who shook it with his own.

~

Aidan's funeral was underway, and Josh was kneeling beside Aiden's body to say goodbye. He brushed a lock of Aiden's hair off of his face and kissed him on the forehead before standing and addressing the wolves.

"I never thought much about the whole immortality part of being a vampire. Suddenly, forever feels like a really long time." Josh said to us.

I saw Hayley and Jackson clutching each other's hands, and look up at each other sadly. I had my arm linked with Stefan's. Josh, looking devastated, walked over to us, and I gave Josh a big hug. Jackson kneeled next to Aiden's body and covered up his face with his shroud while the rest of the Crescent pack watched mournfully.

Jackson and Josh pushed the boat with his body into the river before Jackson threw a lit lighter onto the boat, setting the boat up in flames and giving Aiden a Viking funeral. Nick, Aiden's brother, Stefan, Hayley, and I walked up to Jackson and put our arms around them as we watched Aiden being sent off.

~

"Hey Damon." I said as I packed up Hope and Shawn's things.

"Hey, Stefan told me what happened. I'm so sorry, Lex." Damon said to me and I nodded.

"Yeah." I said quietly.

"So when do you guys think you'll get here?" Damon asked us and I sighed while looked at everyone.

"In a few days maybe?" I said to him unsure.

"Well, I'll see you then. Bye Alex." Damon said and I nodded. He hung up and Stefan walked up to me. He was holding Shawn. Stefan took a few of the babies's things and we walked over to Jackson and Hayley.

Jackson and Hayley, who was holding Hope, were packing up their things to move elsewhere in the Bayou when suddenly, a large crack of thunder and lightning rumbled overhead. The sound frighten Hope and Shawn, and they started to cry. I kissed Shawn's head and whispered in his ear. Telling him everything was going to be ok, while Hayley did the same thing to Hope.