Chapter 43

Alex's P.O.V

Elijah had just made it to the safe house, where I was updating him on what happened. "Of course I tried to call you guys! But since Dahlia was able to take down both Klaus and Mikael, I'm guessing that a cell phone tower was a piece of cake." I said to him.

"And where were the wolves who stood guard?" He asked me unhappily.

"Getting their asses handed to them by Dahlia, just like Klaus did." I said frustrated. Klaus walked in and joined us in the jazz club.

"That's it - you're coming with me to the compound." Klaus said.

"Where Dahlia sent Josephine this morning? No way! We'd be sitting ducks, just like we will be here as soon as that spell breaks." I said incredulously and sighed. "Which is why we have to go." Elijah looked at me alarmed, and Klaus didn't seem at all happy by this news either.

"Jackson and Hayley are out getting supplies, and then we're taking the wolves and we're headed to the Bayou. Plus, Stefan going to meet us here and lead us to Mystic Falls." I said to them.

"The swamp? So my children can be protected by the very wolves Dahlia so easily defeated? Absolutely not!" Klaus said to me unamused. I shoved past Elijah, shoulder-checking him in the process, and aggressively got in my husband's face.

"You know, I am so over taking advice from you, Klaus. All it has done so far is put Shawn in danger. From now on, I am going to do what I want to do. We're leaving." I said to him. I pushed past Klaus, but he shoved me backwards to stop me and pointed at me.

"You're not going anywhere unless I tell you to." Klaus said.

"I am not your prisoner, Klaus!" I said to him furiously.

"Both of you, please - we're playing into Dahlia's hands." Elijah said. Klaus turned so he could look at both his wife, me, and his brother.

"Not doing as I say plays into her hands! While you two have been kow-towing to Freya and devising ways to flee with your tail between your legs, I've been forging a new path. I know what Freya was planning, and I know how to kill Dahlia." Klaus said and I sighed. Well, if you started with that, I would've listened to you.

~

Elijah, Klaus, and I were still arguing at the safe house. "Freya objected to us making a single weapon because it spoiled her plan." Klaus said and was interrupted.

"KLAUS!" Jackson yelled furiously. Elijah and I turned to look at Jackson, who came in with Aiden's body over his shoulder and Hayley, with another werewolf guard, following behind him.

"Jack?" I asked him confused.

"KLAUS!" Jackson yelled. I saw Aiden's body and was horrified.

"Oh, my God." I said. Jackson, the other werewolf, and Hayley placed Aiden's body on a table in the next room, and Klaus and Elijah followed me in to investigate.

"What happened?" I asked them.

"Klaus made Aiden spy on us. Instead, he told us everything -" Hayley turned to Klaus and gives him a mutinous look. "- so you killed him!" She yelled. Klaus looked at Aiden's body with a blank face, and I looked at Klaus with a look of betrayal.

"Please tell me you didn't kill one of the wolves sworn to protect our children?" I asked him. Hayley, Jackson, the other werewolf stared at him, and I, out of everyone, stared Klaus down. Elijah just looked at his little brother, not sure what to believe. Klaus looked upset for a brief moment, but then pushed it down.

"So what if I did?" He asked and pointed at Aiden's body. "This is what happens to anyone who dares cross me!"

"Just give us the word, Jackson." The werewolf guard said furiously.

"Yes! Come and have a go! But you'll be putting your life on the line for one who is all too willing to betray you. Perhaps this never would have happened if he'd had a real Alpha." Klaus shouted at him.

Out of nowhere Stefan came and punched Klaus in the face, which was all the invitation Klaus needed to fight back with all his pent-up rage. But he seemed shocked that Stefan was there and he wasn't the only one.

He pushed Stefan backwards into the other wolves, who have come to defend their Alphas, and I sped over to Klaus to get between them, Klaus punched me in the stomach so hard I was thrown to the side.

When Elijah saw Klaus strike me, he jumped into the fray and lunged between Klaus and Stefan, pushing each of them backwards with an arm. "Do you wish to die?" Elijah asked Stefan. I, furious, sped to my feet and shoved Elijah away from my little brother.

"You wanna kill me, too, Elijah?" I asked him. Elijah looked hurt and stood in front of Klaus, who looked pleased with this outcome.

"If you come at him, you come at me." Elijah said to us.

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time." Stefan said and Elijah looked at him unamused. But it's true, it wouldn't be.

"You lot should make better use of your time. I suggest burying your dead." Klaus said and Stefan looked at the body on the table.

"GET. OUT." I said to my husband enraged.

"Niklaus, you mentioned a plan. I recommend you begin. Alex, Hope, and Shawn are safe for the time being and not going anywhere." Elijah said to him. Klaus smirked smugly at Stefan, the werewolves, and I.

"Shan't be long." Klaus fake whispered to us. He turned and walked away, leaving Elijah alone with Hayley, Jackson, Stefan, and I.

~

Stefan wrapped the bracelet, Davina spelled, around Shawn's wrist as he slept in his cradle and I stared at him with worry. Jackson gave him the bracelet earlier. Me, begin exhaust, found Stefan a moment later and walked over to check on him. After a moment, I turned and walked over to Elijah, furious.

"Nice job today. First Klaus kills Aiden, and then you defend him?" I asked him angrily.

"I was defending Shawn." Elijah said.

"Yeah? Well, if that's true, then what happens now? Somehow, I don't think that Klaus is going to be able to save us." I said to him and Elijah seemed disappointed.

"He loves you both. I love you both." Elijah said to me. I gave him a desperate look and lowered my voice to a whisper.

"Well, if you do, then let us leave." I said to him.

"If you went to the Bayou, I can't protect you from Dahlia. Or Niklaus." Elijah whispered back.

"We have a way to keep Shawn from doing magic. Dahlia won't be able to track us down." I said to him. Elijah looked stunned by this confession. "Jackson knows every inch of the Bayou - he can protect us. Plus, I got Stefan as well. And, I know that Marcel will help us get out of the city. The only thing standing in our way is you." I said to him.

"What are you asking me to do?" Elijah asked me. I grabbed Elijah's hand and squeezed it as I stared him in the eyes.

"We can't run from Dahlia and hide from Klaus at the same time. You wanna protect us? Buy us some time." I said to him. I turned and walked back over to see Hayley, Jackson, and Stefan talking.

"So?" I asked and Stefan looked at me.

"Bonnie has the spell and if we can get there, your kids will be safe." Stefan explained and I sighed.

"Remind me to hug Bonnie when I get home." I said to him and he laughed.

"Plus, then you have a werewolf army, your brothers, a witch, and your whole town defending your kids." Hayley said and I looked at her. "Your children could have a normal life."

"Please, in Mystic Falls?" I asked her and she laughed. "They might be safe, but I doubt they'll get a normal life." We all laughed. Knowing it's better to be safe then to have a normal life. The only thing is Klaus won't be there. Unless he stays true to his word on wanting to be a family.