Chapter 17

Alex's P.O.V

Elijah was holding Hope, while I held Shawn, and Klaus enjoyed the bonfire. Rebekah walked inside a while ago and I walked over to Klaus with Shawn. I wrapped my arm around his and he smiled down at us.

"Hey" I said as we stared at the fire in front of us.

"Hello, love." Klaus said looking at us and I looked up at him.

"Are you ok?" I asked him. He nodded and kissed my head, then our sons'.

"More than ok." I smiled at that answer before leaning up and kissing his cheek. Then I walked back over to my daughter and Elijah.

"If she likes you, she'll love Stefan." I said and and he laughed. Hope held out her arms to me and I took her from Elijah. So, I was now holding both my children.

"But she'll always love you more." Elijah said and I smiled. Rebekah then rushed outside to join us.

"Hey! Look what I found!" She held up a Polaroid camera, and the boys both groaned while I laughed. I live for moments like this with this family! "I wonder if it'll work?" She asked.

"Oh, bloody hell." Klaus said and this is why I love Rebekah so dearly.

"Come on, let's try it! Hey, Nik, do you think you can cram us all into a selfie?" Rebekah asked him as we stood behind them. Klaus turned to us and I smiled at him, as he took the camera from Rebekah.

"Oh, Niklaus is a virtuoso at cramming his siblings into confined spaces." Elijah said and I smiled.

"Well, I'm just glad I traveled hundreds of miles to visit my mentally ill brother, only to have him insult me to my face!" Klaus said.

"Oh, come on, just take the picture!" Rebekah said and Klaus sighed.

He held up the camera and took a picture of the six of us together. Everyone was smiling, Hope and Shawn included, except for Klaus, who remained blank-faced and annoyed. We all watch as the photo developed.

"Aw, see? I wish that it could always be like this." Rebekah said and looked down at her niece and nephew. I nodded slightly wishing the same thing.

"If wishes were horses..." Elijah said and Klaus sighed ruefully.

"...Beggars would ride." Klaus said finishing the sentence. We all look happily at the photograph, but Klaus suddenly sighed, again.

"You realize we'll have to burn it. You want me to make a wish for the family, Rebekah? I wish it didn't have to be like this. But, it does." He said and handed the photo to me. I looked at him confused. "We can't risk it falling into the wrong hands."

I looked at Elijah, he was visibly sad as well as he took Hope, and I took a good, long look at the photo as I walked over to the fire. Before reluctantly throwing it in. I held Shawn closer to me and sighed as I watched the picture burn into ashes slowly.

"No! This isn't right. We deserve this. We've earned this." Rebekah said and looked at all of us unhappy. I walked back over to them. "I won't let it slip away. I know what to do to stop Esther." I saw Elijah tensed up.

"Rebekah, no -"

"I'm going to take her deal. And, when I do, I'm taking her down with me." Rebekah said and I stared at the two brothers. What?

~

I was sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch, giving a hungry Hope her bottle. Shawn was in his carrier next to us as I rocked him back and forth as well. I smiled down at them as the Mikaelson siblings talked inside on how to take down Esther. When Hope fell asleep I held her as she slept, since I didn't have her carrier.