Chapter 28

Dedicated Chapter Song: The Last One - Black Veil Brides

We've built it up just to fall apart. Try to live in wanting more. As we scream and we fight. Carry on through the night but the problem is never the cure.
(Ruby)

      “You're a very stupid girl,” Levi chided without looking at Anna as he rode up beside her

      “You're a very stupid girl,” Levi chided without looking at Anna as he rode up beside her. “Thanks for the ‘confidence’ in me,” she shouted over the sounds of booming footsteps from the Titans and cries from the remaining Survey Corps members. “You're incapable of fighting! I can't risk you getting hurt!” Levi shouted as well. “That's sweet and all but you seriously underestimate me, darling,” she laughed but it turned into a grunt of pain.

      “You nearly died, you shitty brat!” he cursed. They were getting closer to the Armored Titan by now. “It wouldn't have been the first time! Seriously it's like an everyday thing for me!” Ruby rode up beside Anna, screaming at the couple. “Will you two shut up?! There's more lives than just yours that are being risked at this very second! Can't you see them?!” she yelled.

      It was the first time Anna had ever actually paid attention to the people around her dying. She looked around, watching as soldier upon soldier were crushed, stomped on or eaten by a Titan. “Some of them have lives outside of the military,” Ruby continued. “They have families. Children. They'll never see them again because they're too busy fighting for others!” she cried. “Put aside your petty differences and think about humanity for once! We've all lost someone we love,” her eyes saddened. “Let’s not lose anymore.” it was then that Anna realized where Rose had gone. Her lips parted in shock and her hands were shaking. There was no way. She couldn't be dead!

      “Anna is unable to fight without a weapon! She can't turn into a Titan right now!” Levi argued. “Here.” Ruby unstrapped her ODM gear and held it out for Anna. “Huh? What will you use?!” Anna barked. “My brain,” Ruby replied simply. “You know me, Anna, I don't fight. I stay off to the sidelines and call out the shots.” Anna let out a dejected sigh as she strapped on the gear. “I'll see you when this is all over!” Ruby cried out and broke away from the two of them, staying back from the main hoard of Titans.

      “Goddamn it,” Anna cursed, carefully standing on her horse. “Get back here, traitors!” she screamed, shooting the ODM wires into Reiner's skin. Several of her friends were there as well. “You think you can hide?” she snarled, walking up beside Mikasa and peering into the crevice in between Reiner's fingers where he held Bertolt and Eren safe beside his neck.

      “Give us back Eren and I might consider letting you live.” Anna laughed diabolically. “I can't,” Bertolt said, the pure terror dripping from his voice. Mikasa glared daggers at him. “GIVE HIM BACK!”

      “I'm sorry,” Anna laughed, stabbing her sword through the crack and into Bertolt’s shoulder. “But you don't have a choice.” with an upwards slicing motion Anna freed Eren from his restraints. With Mikasa and Armin’s help, the three of them were able to drag Eren away from Bertolt and Reiner. “Tend to him! I'll take down this arse!” Anna declared, backflipping off of Reiner's shoulder and moving in to strike it heels.