Chapter 21

(A/N: My artwork of Rose and Ruby at the top)

Dedicated Chapter Song: Shinzou wo Sasageyo - Linked Horizon

Sasageyo! sasageyo! shinzou wo sasageyo!
(Anna)

      “How is she?" Levi asked Rose later that night

      “How is she?" Levi asked Rose later that night. It was a long night for everyone, and even though some people had left for the Wall, others remained on the inside. Rose glanced to her side to see Anna leaned up against a brick wall, hugging Ruby in her arms, the two of them fast asleep. “I think she's still trying to process everything. I can only imagine how much she's going through right now. It's impressive that ‘she’ hasn't made an appearance yet.”

      “Who?” Levi demanded. “Hysteria; Anna's deranged counterpart.” Rose placed her hands behind her back. “Hanji and I did some talking while Anna was still under the influence of amnesia and...well, I think I've come to realize something about Anna's abilities.” Levi crossed his arms and leaned up against a wall. “If it can provide us any useful information, I'm all ears.”

      Rose glanced at the two girls sleeping, noticing her sister was clutching to something in her hand. When Rose looked a bit closer she could make out it was a piece of metal attached to a leather cord. To her it looked almost like Eren's key. Rose shook off the thought of her having it since Eren never let it out of his sight. “Well... Think about it... when was the one time in Anna's life she was ever ‘normal’?”

     “Before she was brought to Paradis.” Levi said stoically. “Before a time she can properly remember. She was only a child, lest you forget. Since then, Anna's life has been nothing but synthetic and abnormal.” Rose tugged at a strand of her pink hair. “It's just like Zoë said; Anna's memories were only discarded so long as her synthetic blood cells weren't reproducing and recreating those drugs in her body. Unless all unnatural cells in her body are killed off, Anna will always revert back to her Titan-shifting, sarcastic bitch self. Which leads me to another conclusion,”

      “Well? Spit it out.” Levi ordered. “Notice how in the 4 Shifters you've had in possession— Eren, Anna, Annie and I— Anna is the only one who needs a 3 element with shifting. For Eren and I, the only key factors are an injury and a specific clear goal in mind. For Anna, however....” Rose trailed off, leaving room for Levi to finish for her. “She needs to be royally pissed.”

      “Exactly.” Rose nodded. “The one time in her life when she was the angriest was when she called herself Hysteria. You claim she had white blonde hair and wasn't acting like herself when you injected her. That she would kill for blood, right?” Levi watched her closely, side-eyeing Anna. “Where are you going with this?”