Chapter 30

Dedicated Chapter Song: Sweet Sacrifice - Evanescence

You poor sweet innocent thing. Dry your eyes and testify.
(Eren to Ruby)

      Rubianne Lariviere nervously paced the corridors of the Trost District Medical Centre, too nervous and anxious to concentrate on sitting down and trying to focus on anything but keeping herself distracted

      Rubianne Lariviere nervously paced the corridors of the Trost District Medical Centre, too nervous and anxious to concentrate on sitting down and trying to focus on anything but keeping herself distracted. Thankfully she could get a change of clothes and was wearing a simple and pure white gown that covered her arms and went down to her ankles.

      Her soft red and black hair was flattened and laid against her back unlike the typical curls she'd put effort into making each day. That day she had little to no energy. Dark rings around her eyes and the lines across her face made her look much older than 15. In fact she'd looked almost exactly like her sister at 23.

      “Hey, Ruby?” Eren's voice called from down the hall. She ceased her pacing and slowly turned to him, a scared but curious look on her face. “Y-Yes?” she meekly spoke. “I wanted to personally thank you for what you did the other day. I didn't have the chance to until now.” Ruby grabbed her arms and turned her head away from him. “You're welcome.” she nonchalantly replied.

      “So...” he tried to carry on the conversation. “Your Titan form oddly resembles your sister's. Does that have something to do with why she's not here?” he cautiously asked. Ruby tucked some hair behind her ear. “Yeah.” she nodded. “Um... I'd rather not talk about it right now if that's all right with you.” Eren offered her a kind smile. “Don’t worry. I get it. Are you doing okay?”

      “I think I'll be okay...” she rubbed her arm, though her eyes saddened. “I've been offered Haness’ position in the Garrison but many of my colleagues are reluctant to fight alongside me now knowing what I can turn into.” she sighed. “Why don't you just join the Survey Corps?”

      “Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “Even if I could switch the Survey Corps really isn't my thing. I like the middle ground of the Garrison to where it's not lazy like the Military Police but I'm not risking my life as much as the Scouting Regiment.” she nervously played with a strand of her hair. “How's Mikasa doing?” Ruby asked.

      “She's doing okay. Happy to have me back, at least.” Eren shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants. “We all are.” Ruby agreed. “Don't go getting kidnapped on us again, okay? I really don't feel up to having to turn into a Titan to save your hide.” she teased, making him laugh a bit. “I'll try not to.”

      “Lariviere!” a tall dark-haired Garrison member called. “Pack your things. We're transferring you back to the Stohess District to work alongside the Military Police to make sure we can keep an eye on you.” Ruby gasped in offence. “Sir?!” she held her ground. “Rico will be giving you a debriefing. You'd best say goodbye to your friends for a while.” he explained. “But, sir, this is all too sudden!” she shook her head.