Chapter 11

Dedicated Chapter Song: Walk On Water - Thirty Seconds To Mars

Look at the sky, see a dying star. White lies, it's a man on fire. Making love with the devil hurts. Times are changing. A thin line, the whole truth. The far right, the left view. Breaking all those promises made. Times are changing.
(Anna)

     "It's Hell, four eyes

     "It's Hell, four eyes..." Levi tiredly rubbed at his face over breakfast. One more day until the expedition with Anna. One more day she had left to prove herself. "I hate to say it, but I'm kind of hoping one of us gets eaten tomorrow so I don't have to put up with this shit anymore." Hanji gasped. "Levi!" he groaned in response. "Why don't you just tell her to stop?" she shook her head. "Because she enjoys it..." Levi lowered his head in shame. "And so do I..." he muttered. "But I feel so guilty afterwards because I realize she doesn't really care. It's lust, Hanji, not love. All it is is fucking. There's no compassion. I want my fiance back. Not this imposter."

      Anna pursed her lips tighter and squeezed her eyes shut as she listened closely from the outside to their conversation. "Just because she doesn't remember doesn't mean she doesn't care-" Levi slammed his hand on the wooden table. "All she wants from me is sex! And if she can't get it from me, then she'll try to seduce someone else! I can't win, four eyes!" Anna put her head into her hands and let her back slam against the wall and slide down. She was a pathetic excuse of a human life. "This is all your fault. If you'd never given her the serum-"

      "Then she'd most likely be dead, Captain." Hanji stated. "She probably would have committed suicide from all the lives she took." Anna didn't want to listen anymore. Is that why Rose took her diary away? To hide her from the truth? "At least she can't turn into a Titan. At least not for the time being." Hanji replied. "You're saying it's possible for her to regain her Titan abilities?"

      "I'm saying it's possible for her to at least regain her Half-Titan state." Hanji replied. "I don't want to think about the consequences if she really can turn full-on Titan again. With how unstable her fighting is lately, there's a good chance some of us might get killed if she lost control again. Let's just pray that's not an option." Commander Hanji spoke softly. Levi let out a tired sigh. "You're right. One more day, right?"

      "Not on your life." Anna mumbled to herself and got to her feet, heading for the stables. "Not if I can help it." she rushed to her horse's stable and began to saddle it up. "Just where do you think you're going?" Nanaba was behind her. Anna sighed. "Nana...I can't stay here. I'll go to the Cadet Corps willingly if I must but...I can't be a part of the Scouting Regiment. I don't belong here." her voice broke as she turned back to her horse. "I don't belong anywhere. I'm a wretched, filthy creature." she whimpered. The older woman walked up beside her. "And just what makes you think that?"

      "More like who." Anna snorted, trying to be angry at Levi, but found she was more angry at herself than anyone else. "He's right about me, Nanaba....I'm just a useless whore." Anna lowered her head. "If I'm lucky, a Titan will make me their lunch tomorrow." Nanaba smiled faintly. "So, you still plan on staying the night." she mused. "Come with me." she offered a hand. "Where are we going?" Anna asked. "Not far." Nanaba smiled sweetly. Anna sighed, realizing she had no choice and followed the older woman outside towards a well. "Look in there."

      "You're not going to push me, are you?" Anna skeptically asked. "I would never." Nanaba shook her head. Anna sighed and looked into the water, seeing her reflection stare back at her. "So? It's just my reflection." Nanaba laughed wryly. "Look harder. There's something else, isn't there?" Anna rolled her eyes and let out a breathe, glancing back at her reflection. For a moment she could have sworn she was smiling and her eyes were two different colors. "What the-?" she gasped, leaning in closer. 'Don't forget me, okay? Remember your promise.' Her reflection said, making her gasp and stumble back. She tripped herself up and fell onto her backside. Nanaba laughed. "Maybe that was a little too hard." she outstretched a hand. “Y-Yeah...” Anna breathed, taking her hand and pulling herself to her feet. “Nanaba, do you think I'll ever remember who I was?”

      “I do.” Nanaba replied. “But you don't, do you?” Anna sighed heavily. “I think some part of me wants to believe in the possibility of it happening, but let's face it: I'm useless. I'm just Cinderella around here. I cook and I clean. That's all there is to it.”

      “That's not true. When you put your mind to it, you're a better fighter than you let yourself believe-”
      “Anna! Nanaba!” Rose ran over. “There's been a new Titan spotted on the south side of wall Rose. We're moving out a day early.” she seemed out of breathe. “Get ready, Anna. From the sounds of it, it's not going to be pretty what's going to happen.”

      “If everything in my diary was true, then I'm sure a new breed of Titans is the least of my worries.” Anna retorted. “Let's find this son of a bitch and take him down.” she stomped back into the stables. Rose blinked, looking at Nanaba. “Did you do something to her?"

      Nanaba smirked. “I only helped her remember what she's really fighting for.” Rose looked over to see her new friends all scrambling to get their gear and mount their horses. Her eye caught sight of Jean and her heart dropped in her chest. “They say this one is pretty deadly, Nanaba. People are going to die.”

      “Everyone dies for a reason. Some of us just have the benefit of living longer.” Nanaba replied. Anna kept her eyes down as she saddled up her white horse. She was terrified. There was a chance she could get killed. Her stomach lurched forward and she wrapped her arms around herself, trying hard not to throw up. “I've made so many bad choices... please don't let them be one of them...” she whispered.

” she whispered