Girls vs. Boys (30) - Truce

April 2nd, 2010

“We need to make a plan, girls,” Aimee told us suddenly as we all sat in the ice cream parlor, the same one I had met Jesse in almost three years before, as she wagged her spoon at us. “We need to make a plan about all of us getting boyfriends.”

“You know you can get any guy you want, Aimee,” Lexi sighed to our friend with a roll of her eyes. “You don’t have anything to worry about. We, on the other hand, do. It’s even worse since we go to an all-girls school.”

“But we have the public school and Cambridge,” AJ reminded us as she took a bite of her ice cream. “There are a bunch of cute guys at those schools.”

“Not Cambridge,” I muttered, causing Aimee to give me a look.

“You know one guy at Cambridge,” she informed me, in case I somehow didn’t know.

“And he’s ruined boys for me,” I replied back. “For the time being, that is.”

“I thought that it was Dallas that ruined boys for you,” Chelsea blinked, and I bit the inside of my lip at the thought of him. Soon I was going to be a senior, just like he had been. I couldn’t help but wonder where he was now… “I thought Jesse was just the icing on the cake.”

She could have been right, but I didn’t really know. All I knew for sure was that I wasn’t interested in a relationship at all. I hadn’t been since what had happened with Dallas only two years before. I didn’t know why, but no guy was appealing to me after him. I was starting to think that he was the only one for me and there was nothing I could do about it.

“Jordan,” Aimee snapped, snapping me out of my sad thoughts and back into reality. “Don’t think about him right now. Or ever, really. You don’t need him in your life and you know it. Thinking about him just makes you upset, doesn’t it?”

I nodded, poking at my ice cream timidly. This was the ice cream parlor Dallas took me to when I thought we were going on a date. This was the ice cream parlor Jesse and I had first met in. I hated this place, and yet I still sat there like nothing about it bothered me at all.

How could anyone just expect me to be able to sit there like it was the first time I had ever been there? This place was only bad memories for me. I didn’t want to go, but my friends had pretty much forced me to.

“She always gets this way when she thinks about Dallas,” Chelsea pointed out, poking me in the cheek as she did so. I didn’t even respond, which caused her to roll her eyes. “Yep. She always acts so out of it when she’s thinking about that asshole. Eh, she’ll snap out of it sooner or later.”

I sure hoped I did. Hopefully something would happen that would make me stop thinking about Dallas and everything else that had happened in this ice cream parlor…

“Hey, girls.”

Well, this was definitely it.

We looked over to see Bruce Wilkinson standing before us. Any girl would be thrilled to be speaking with him, but I wasn’t impressed in the slightest. Bruce Wilkinson might have been exceptionally good at football, but he wasn’t exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. And it annoyed me to no end. I liked it when a guy was smart, and that was definitely the last thing Bruce Wilkinson was.

But Lexi had been crushing on him for years, and I wasn’t about to tell her that I thought it was a bad idea to. Until this very moment, Bruce hadn’t ever spoken to any of us before. He went to the public school that Dallas and Austin had gone to, and Lexi only knew him through football games and people that went to the public school.