Chapter fifteen

Maia

There was so much pain in Kaliska's eyes. She continuously reached Mona in their bond asking for an update.

Getting a call, Maia picked up her phone. It was Mona. They agreed to be an additional link to if Maia felt Kaliska really needed Mona here.

Kaliska's emotions were so high. Maia has to admit vampires emotions could be very dramatic. It was understandable. They carried much stronger nervous system; blood feeding more of their right side of brain. Either vampires could cut off the blood pour to that portion of brain or be overfilled.

This is new to Maia. Supporting a vampire and a mate. But it was something Maia wanted to do. Getting off the phone with Mona, she went back to Kaliska, standing at the side of the house. She was out of view from the pack. They could all sense something was wrong.

"Hey." Maia's voice was gentle.

Kaliska shook her head. "I'm sure once everyone finds out I'm the monster Mac said I was...they'll want nothing to do with me."

"This is improvement," Maia acknowledged.

Staring at Maia dumbfounded, Kaliska stretched her arms out. "How?"

"Because, just a day ago...you said you didn't care what this pack thought of you. Now you do. And you know why?"

Emotions dimming enough to listen, Kaliska shrugged, another crimson tear slipping out. "No," she sniffed.

"Because you know...that deep down they will have your back." Maia shook her head. "You think this pack is in Corny of harming a human. One third of this pack is turned by an accidental attack from members within this pack."

Kaliska's eyes widen.

"Sean went off hunting thirty years ago. We have pack magic that makes us look smaller than what we are but it was hunting season and someone saw him. They got scared and tried to shoot him." Maia stepped forward extending an arm out toward the moon. "He ran off distorted by what happened, ran into a hiker several miles a different direction and attacked her by simply being startled."

"Is she okay?" Kaliska asked.

Maia chuckled. "Yeah. She's his mate. Sissy's Mom."

Seeing how alike Kaliska was to Sean and a lot of this pack, it relaxed her significantly. She stepped in, leaning her body against Maia's toned structure. "Can you tell me...what you've done?" Kaliska felt Maia stiffen.

She pulled away, seeing Maia's faint expression. Maia nodded, grabbing both her hands. "I'm not from here. You know that."

"Yeah..." Kaliska acknowledged.

"My mother was turned forcefully after getting pregnant by a werewolf." Maia took a deep breath. Kaliska ran her hand up and down Maia's arm. "I was disgraced in my pack. My mother was forced to join a pack with a man who beat her. He was smug and heartless. We were continuously shamed. You have to remember...I'm a hundred and ten years old. Different time."

   Kaliska felt so much strength in Maia overcoming so much.

   "I grew bitter, always fighting and being challenged. My mother would tell me to just be invisible. See she was turned werewolf but I was born. I never was installed humane thoughts. Never saw a human until I was nearly an adult." Maia had no tears but her eyes were watery. "I got defiant one full moon, challenging my father and he nearly killed me. My mother tried to defend me and he...killed her. For another several months, I secretly worked hard to become stronger and faster. Deadlier. And I succeeded. One day...I challenged him again. And I killed him without a thought."