Chapter Six

Kaliska

"We haven't been out in forever," Mila pointed out a third time.

Trying not to make a snarky remark Kaliska only took another sip from her foam cup. She drank more blood in the last day, that she hardly felt starved.

   Someone's throat cleared. Kaliska been sipping on blood, staring into the artery of a man with his family. She blinked a few times, appalled. She'd never attack him or his family. It took a lot to tear her eyes from his artery. Looking up at Rosalie, "What?"

   "You zoning out." Rosalie smiled, concerned but trying not to be obvious about it.

   "Yeah." Kaliska sighed. She hadn't gotten around to telling her friends the truth. Telling them that there was more to this world than just being human was hard. How would they take it? Kaliska didn't want to lose them. "Just. Have a lot on my mind."

   "Yeah," Mila said bitterly. "How about you share that with your best friends. Or are we not best friends anymore?" Mila seemed totally trained on Kaliska, waiting for an answer.

   "We will always be best friends." Kaliska sighed, putting her cup down.

   She was originally suppose to move in with Mila but ended up going to Mona and Paulina. Kaliska now realized how that might appear to Mila. Kaliska couldn't imagine living with humans. Her mind frenzied, realizing she no longer saw herself as human. She was never human. She had to give them something.

   "You're both right to be upset with me. I have been keeping something from you two."

   "I knew it," Mila hissed.

   Rosalie held her hand up. "Mila. Let her speak."

   Kaliska body heated. She pinched the center of her shirt, flapping it a few times to cool herself down. Licking her dry lips, she hoped her friends would understand. "I...uh..." she looked around. Mila and Rosalie's eyes were so intense in her. "I found out...who my birth parents are."

   Both their eyes widen.

   "You what?" Rosalie mouth was agape with disbelief. "How? Who are they?"

   "Why didn't you tell us?"

   Kaliska took in all their questions. She wanted to give honest answers, that would leave out the other parts, Kaliska wasn't ready to share. "I have always said...you two are my family. And you are and always will be. I just didn't want you to think I felt differently. I don't know." 

   Kaliska scratched the corner of her head. "Miles actually helped me find the truth. Seems. His dad knew my mom." It felt weird considering a woman she never met as her mom. "Uh, point is...she isn't here and far as I know...my father died before I was born. The two women I'm living with are my fathers...sisters." I had to think of something. Couldn't tell them who Lucian really was to Mona and Paulina.

   "Oh." Mila nodded.

   "That's all you're going to say?"

   Mila shrugged. "What else is there? I'm mad you didn't tell us. But I'm also happy."

   Kaliska smiled.

   "We'd like to meet them." Rosalie said.

   "Umm. That may—"

   "Hey, Kalis. You three want anything else?" April came up as chirpy as ever.

   "No," Kaliska said. Her friends said no too.

   "Have you seen Jake?"

   April was like clockwork. Kaliska still felt odd about April. Her scent through her off. She was human but there was also a different odor as well. Smiling politely. "Not since last night."