Chapter Fourteen

Kaliska

   Standing in front of her adoptive parents home, Kaliska waited for Jake to come out. She rather not go in. Kaliska dealt with enough drama for a night. She kept her hands hidden in her pocket. There was a drift of cold air passing through.

   About ten at night on a Thursday, he was unable to leave the house. Jake closed the door slow and quietly, giving Kaliska the impression he was sneaking out. He tip toed to her, whispering, "everything okay?" He looked very concerned.

   Kaliska smirked, shaking her head. "Of course." She acted as if he was exaggerating her time being here.

   Jake gave her a suspicious smile. "Sis...I know you." He looked toward the house. "You wouldn't bring yourself at risk of seeing me here if something wasn't bothering you."

   He was right. Kaliska could have waited the next day when he was out. She wanted to see Jake now. Talk and feel normal, even for a few minutes.

   "Spill it. You always do."

   "That's because you're nosy," Kaliska joked. She sighed. "Why are you sneaking out?"

   Jake frowned. "You know why. You want mom and dad to know your here?"

   Laughing, Kaliska lifted both hands at how her brother kept scowling at her.

   "No bike?" Jake asked.

   "I ran here," Kaliska said casually as if he lived a few miles from Blackwater. They were more like thirty miles from Blackwater.

   "Ran...here?" Her brother repeated slowly. "Damn." Jake made a long sorrow sigh. "I wish I could run that fast and long?"

   Kaliska pursed her lips. Smiling, she had an idea. "Hop on my back."

   Staring at his sister with concerning eyes, Jake did not move.

   "Come on." Here Kaliska thought she could act normal for a few hours and here she was doing opposite. But this time things were different. She was using her abilities for fun. Jake walked to her back side, leaping onto her. She heaved him high, grabbing both ends of his thighs.

   "Mom and Dad is going to kill me if I leave?"

   "You want to stay?" Kaliska asked, grinning. "I can hear them. They are sleep."

   "You can hear them?" Jake asked shocked.

   "We need to go over my new fine skill set," Kaliska joked.

   "We surely do." Jake looked toward the house. "Lets giddy up." He swirled his arm out.

   "I'm not a horse," Kaliska playfully growled.

   About to respond, Kaliska handed Jake a pair of sunglasses, zooming off in unnatural speed before he could speak. She moved through the road, leaping into the woods, and within a minute they were at the diner.

   Eyes wide, Jake stumbled off of his sister back, heaving for a solid breath. He stood in tripod position, resting the palm of his hands over his knees. He held one arm up. "Give me a second. I feel sick." He was smiling the entire time he tried to feel normal again. He shook his head. "That's insane. I couldn't even see where you were taking me. It was like one of those space ship scenes in Star Wars, when the ship zooms out into another dimension."

   Kaliska shrugged. "Something like that."

   Through the windows, Jake could see April. "Tell me what she's saying. Maybe it's about me."

   Kaliska frowned. She knew from what Maia told her, April came during the full moon and requested to meet her. Instinct told her to come here. Her hybrid, directed her here.