Chapter Four

Kaliska

"Thank you." Kaliska took off her seatbelt.

Reaching across the console, Maia squeezed her hand. "We can talk about it another night."

There was no argument on Kaliska's end. Hearing the news of her mother being captive by possibly the Monarch was a lot to take in. "I just want to say...that I know this isn't just about me. Zara...she's your best friend. You two have history."

"Thank you, for saying that." Maia turned off the car engine. "I know we've talked about Zara. It's hard for you seeing her as your mother because you don't know her. I can also see how much you've resented her."

"Maia..."

"I'm not judging how you're feeling." Maia lifted her hand up to cup Kaliska's jaw. It pulled Kaliska further into what Maia was trying to say. "You have questions you need her to answer. Hell...I do. But, what Zara and I have is separate from what you will hopefully have with her one day. I'm just glad...my age doesn't freak you out."

Kaliska snorted. She shrugged, "Well...if you looked your age, I don't no if I would be kissing you."

Maia chuckled. "Fair enough."

"I love being with you, Maia. I'd be lying if I wasn't nervous meeting Zara soon and her realizing I'm with her best friend."

"When you say it that way," Maia pretended to cringe. "I'm such a cougar."

Kaliska rolled her eyes. "You are. And a very sexy one."

Maia smiled. Their eyes locked. "You ready?"

Looking toward the house, Kaliska could see someone peeking through. "I guess so. Too late to leave now."

~

Kaliska wasn't sure if she should knock first. Maia stood beside Kaliska, turning her head to see if Kaliska was breathing.

"Take a breath."

And she did. Living in a house with vampires for family, breathing was not a thing to do. Breathing for Kaliska was a thing she could skip for several minutes at a time. It made for swimming under water a fun activity when she could be below for a long time. The vampire half of her allowed to have those luxury moments.

The door opened before Kaliska decided to either knock or let themselves in. Standing in the way, Jake's friend smile reached from ear to ear. "Kaliska. You look—you know..." he was blushing... "like, you." He waved his hand out to Kaliska, happy to see her.

Kaliska brow arched, staring at Simeon peculiarly. She smiled awkward, expression peering at him to move.

It seemed Simeon was more focused on Kaliska than the woman she stood near. He looked at aww with her, as if trapped in thought, anxious to find something else to say.

"You going to let us in?" Kaliska asked, rhetorically.

"Right." Simeon nodded, stepping aside.

They walked in, side by side. Kaliska waited until the door was shut, carrying on toward the left of the hall. Everyone was practically in the kitchen. Kaliska could hear them chatting away, as if pretending some of them weren't looking through the window.

Smiling at Maia, she already felt the sense to apologize for whatever her parents; mostly mother would say.

As expected, it was her mother who spoke first. "Kaliska, honey." Her mom came up, embracing her right away. Her father did the same.

"Finally couldn't stay away." Jake pulled her into a hug, looking over his shoulder at Maia. "Glad you're here. It was getting boring."

"Watch yourself there." Kaliska watched her father ruffle up her brothers hair.