The Sponsor Problem

-Mark's POV-

"What did you say?" I asked quickly into the phone, hoping...almost begging that I misheard what Mike had said.

For the first time in a long time I heard Mike's voice soften as he spoke. Small Talk is wanting to drop out of the charity livestream. I just got off of the phone with their head of marketing, and they want to just pull out. He was very vague as to why."

I felt like I was going to be sick. Small Talk was a huge sponsor, and had promised to match any charity contributions up to $100,000.

"They didn't tell you why they want to leave?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"No, they didn't," Mike said, his voice still soft and slightly helpless. "But I was able to convinced the head to have a sit down meeting. I know that you weren't planning on getting back to LA until the end of the month, Mark, but he refused to just see me on his own. He wants both of us there."

I nodded, for a moment forgetting that Mike couldn't see me over the phone. "When is the meeting scheduled?"

"It is on May 22nd," he said quickly.

"What?" I yelled, "That's only five days away!"

"I'm sorry,but that was the latest date I could get!" he shouted back. "We were honestly lucky to get a meeting at all!"

I sighed deeply into the receiver of the phone. "I shouldn't be shouting at you Mike. I'll figure out a way to get back to LA by the meeting."

"Thanks Mark," he replied. "I'm sorry that this happened. All my bitching aside about Jack being a distraction, it's obvious that you both love each other dearly and want to spend time with each other."

"Yeah," I said.

"I'll text you later on about an update as to your plans to get back later." he said, "And Mark?"

"Hmm?"

"Tell Jack that I forgive him for calling me a 'cock blocker' earlier." he said, a slight chuckle in his voice, "But in my defense I had no idea I was interrupting something."

I cleared my throat, not really knowing what to say.

"And for the sake of your sex life," he said, still chuckling, "don't ever answer the phone, you dumbass."

I hung up the phone trying not to laugh as well. I had just been schooled in 'Relationship 101' with Mike Rogan. I placed my phone back in my pocket, and headed out of the living room to make amends to the better half.

He was in the bedroom, sitting on the bed. His beautiful pale back and shoulders were leaning against the bed frame, and his laptop sat comfortably on his blue jean wrapped legs. Head bent down and headphones tightly on, he only realized that I was in the room when I sat at the foot of the bed.

Glancing up my brown eyes met slight surprise in his blue eyes, but they turned quickly to that same glare that I had seen earlier today.

I smiled meekly.

"Finish your phone call with Mike, I assume?" he asked sourly, taking his headphones off.

"Yes," I said slightly sheepish. "Bright Eyes, I owe you an -"

"No you don't Mark," he said with a sigh. "We have had many conversations about the charity livestream being a number one priority, and that means it's more important than the occasional blue balls."

I laughed and leaned over for a kiss. "Mike called me a dumbass for answering the phone."

He smiled. "I think I'm starting to like Mike a bit more."

He moved his laptop off to the side table and crawled back over to me. "So, have you come in here to make it up to me?" he asked with a sly smile.

"Well, yes I did," feeling my cheeks turn pink. "But before that, I wanted to tell you that I have to cut my visit here short."

The smile left his face almost instantly, and in its place a very worried frown.

"Why," he said quickly. "What happened?"

"Small Talk wants to pull out of the livestream," I said sadly.

His blue eyes opened wide with alarm. "But isn't that one of the sponsors who was going to match the donations?"

I nodded. "Mike was able to convince them to meet with us, but the date is a few days from now. I need to get my tickets exchanged very soon."

He took me hand in his, and I brought his hand up to my lips and kissed it.

"I'm so sorry about all of this, Sean," I said looking at him, my eyes suddenly filling with tears. "I'll try to get back as soon as I can."

Jack shook his head "no" and pulling his hand back from me crossed his arms stubbornly.

"Oh I don't think so," he said, his dark hair ruffling in the wind as he shook his head again. "You promised me a month, and I'm getting my month with you, god damn it."

I stared at him confused. "But the meeting -"

"I'm very aware that the meeting needs to happen," he said sharply, and taking my hand in his again. "I'm coming with you to LA."

I felt my face feel incredibly hot again. I hadn't even considered Jack coming back to Los Angeles with me.

Jack laughed loudly at my slow connection to that simple solution.

"I love you so much," he said, giving me a kiss on the cheek, "but Mike has a point. Sometimes you are a dumbass."