The Impending Plans

-Jack's POV-

"Sean? You...you called me back?"

Her voice sounded softer than I remembered it the last time that we had spoken. There was a sharp inhale of breath on the other end of the line, and she continued.

"I know I'm probably the last person you want to talk to, especially with your announcement on YouTube, but I -"

She took another deep breath.

"Is it ok if we talk in person? I just want to talk to you about some things, and in person would be easier."

I felt the icy shock of her calling me melt away, and in it's place there was a burning hot anger flowing through my heart.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Signe?" I said, my hands shaking as I started moving again, heading as far from Mark and anyone else as possible. "You break up with me, refuse to take any of my calls or even just tell me why you left, and the day that I finally announce to the world that I have found love again, you walk back into my life and demand that I meet up and talk because it's "easier for you?"

It was only when I had finished yelling that I realized that she was crying. It wasn't a loud sob, but small and quiet mutters and sniffs. It sounded so much worse than is she had been sobbing loudly. My heart lurched again, and I felt suddenly guilty for yelling at her. Even if she left as horribly as she did, she didn't deserve to be screamed at.

"Y-You're right," she said, her cries making her stutter. "I don't have any business making demands of you at all. I'm sorry that I asked you to meet me. I just..."

The crying was really getting to me now. Even though it had been a half a year since I saw her, I could just imagine how hard it must have been to make this call.  I never liked seeing her cry, whether it was during a fight we were having or something that had nothing to do with me.

"I'll just leave you alone," she said softly. "I'm so sorry that I bothered you."

"No, wait," I said, feeling my heart lurch yet again. "I'm sorry that I yelled. It's been a very stressful day, but that's no reason to lash out at you. If you really need to talk in person, I am willing to do that."

"You are?" She asked, her voice breathless and almost happy. "You would do that?"

"Yes," I said, still not sure why I was going to, but my chest felt slightly less tight now that her crying has stopped. "Are you still living in the city?"

"Yes, I am," she said, with a small sniff. "We can meet tomorrow afternoon, around 1:30pm, if that is all right?"

"Yes," I said stiffly. "How about at that little coffee shop that we used to go to?"

"Small Batch Coffee?" she asked quickly. "Yes, I remember the place. It was always nice going there."

"Yes," I said again, painfully aware that this was feeling like a date, and not just a talk.

"I have to go," I said, wanting to hang up and process what was happening. "I'll see you tomorrow at 1:30pm."

"Ok," she said quietly, "see you then, Sean."

I heard the phone click and I slowly moved it away from my ear. It was only then that I started to connect what I had done. What I had agreed to do tomorrow afternoon. I was going to meet up with my ex girlfriend after months of not hearing a word from her to...talk to her.

What did that even mean?

I would need to tell Mark of course, but I already agreed to meet up with her. What if he would be upset that I didn't talk to him first. That I just made all of the arrangements without even considering his feelings. I felt like the world was spinning, and I leaned forward slightly and tried to take deep breaths. It felt like I was having a panic attack, or something so much worse.