Chapter 39

"We're here!" a voice calls out as the bus stops. 

My head jerks forward as my eyes flutter open from the minuscule amount of sleep I could glean from the bus ride. I quickly grab my duffel bag and make my way off the bus and into Shiratorizowa's parking lot. I never thought I'd ever come here but here we are. This half-week long training week is for our teams benefit. The top five Miyagi schools gathered to help us train for nationals.

"This place is huge!" Hinata stares up at the building wide eyed. I rub the sleep out of my eye and follow the group indoors. Inside their dorms was a high glass ceiling. A housing representative split us up into rooms. Murmuring about how rich and bougie it all was tugged a tired smirk from my lips.

This camp, Yachi and Kiyoko have family things to attend to, so that means I get my own room in the Shiratorizowa dorms that they insisted we occupy even if we live in the area. The room that I get is on the third floor, basically completely isolated from everyone save the Jozenji and Date Tech managers who are next door.

The dorm room is standard. Two twin beds, private toilets, and community bath. I toss my bag on one of the beds and dig around for my shorts to wear beneath my track pants in case one of the coaches wants me to practice with their team.

It is 10 in the morning when we arrive and all five schools meet in the gym at 10:30. When I go downstairs, I catch up with Hinata and the other first years going to. "Hey Chihiro-chan," Hinata waves.

"Hey," I greet back with a curt wave. "Chihiro-chan, do you have any idea what is planned for this week?" Yamaguchi asks. I skip the last two stairs and hop to the tile ground. "Ukai didn't let me know too much. I know it's going to be quite a bit different than just practice matches back to back,"

I look over my shoulder for a second. "Why wouldn't he tell you? You're a coach too," Kageyama voices his concern. I furrow my brows. "I'm not entirely sure but he did have a mischievous look on his face. I'm kinda nervous,"

"This should be interesting then," Tsukishima smirks behind me. I didn't see him smirk, but I can hear it in his voice. We leave the dorm building and cross the campus to get to the gym. Yamaguchi happened to get a map back at the dorms, so he led us.

When the five of us enter the state-of-the-art facilities, the teams were trickling in and getting into lines according to school. I join the other coaches in front of the players. I stick myself a fair distance from the players and coaches I didn't know. 

Once everyone was there, the Shiratorizowa coach claps his hands, getting the attention of the players. Ukai and I glance and each other before turning to the old coach.

"Ehem!" he clears his throat loudly. "I'd like to welcome you all to Shiratorizowa and to our training camp. I am head coach Washijo Tanji," he gets the formalities out of the way first before he starts pacing around. "The reason I decided to invite you all here was mainly to help our Miyagi representatives. But also to strengthen the underclass men for next year," he stops in front. 

"You should all feel proud for being here. Only the ones with talent, potential, and skill enter those doors," he points to the large metal doors. "Take pride in yourself,"

He continues his speech while intertwining the schedule for the rest of our time here and dropping hints to unconventional training. I glance at the rest of the coaches and see the evil glint in their eyes when it is mentioned.

"Now if our coaches will introduce themselves. The other Shiratorizowa coach steps forward. "I am Saitou Akira, co-coach for Shiratorizowa," I could feel anxiety bubble up in my chest.

The Seijou coaches introduce themselves as Irihata and Mizoguchi after them. Then the Date Tech coaches, then the Jozenji coach.

Last but not least is Ukai and I. He steps up first, "I am Ukai Keshin, the head coach for Karasuno," He steps back and gestures me forward with his eyes. My face gets hot and muscles stiffen.