28

We practice day in and day out throughout the sweltering summer months. One day, Ukai and Takeda-sensei seemed to be pretty giddy about something. That something was a beach weekend. We were told that we'd leave after class Friday and return Sunday night. Of course we are taking full advantage of beach volleyball in order to improve endurance but we still would get to go in the water.

The weekend before the trip Kiyoko, Yachi and I planned on going to get swimsuits at the local mall. I didn't realize the compromise I'd have to make until I stand in front of the store of mostly bikinis. I back up, "I suddenly think that I'd much rather swim with a shirt and shorts on," The two managers look back at me confused. "Why?" Yachi asks. I point to my shoulder, "The scar on my shoulder. I'm not sure that I want to be showing it off, not to mention the once on my upper arms and stomach,"

I grip my arm and look down. "Why don't you want people to see your scars?" Yachi asks, crossing her arms. "People will stare at me," Kiyoko shakes her head. "You mean our team? Why would they? It's not like you have a third eye. Scars are just little marks on your skin given to you by life,"

"Yeah! And I think your scar will make you look tough," Yachi puffs out her cheeks and flexes her arms. "What do you say," Kiyoko asks with a gentle smile. Yachi grins widely behind her. I look at their faces for a bit and sigh, "Alright just don't expect my to wear a string bikini,"

Yachi cheers and Kiyoko smiles and start picking out swimsuits. "Chihiro-chan come take a look at this one!" Yachi pipes. I look over at the floral strappy bikini. The top looks like it will guarantee my boobs to pop out. I politely decline and keep looking.

I scour the racks for a swimsuit that would not only keep everything contained but in my size, a complimenting color, and style. Yachi and Kiyoko have already found one and are searching for cover ups, hats, and flip flops. It all seems hopeless until I one set catches my eyes.     

A black short sleeve shirt that fits like a like a thin wet suit  with blue panels and plain black bikini bottoms. I try it on in the dressing room and look myself over.  It didn't show much. In fact the only scars visible are on my legs, but it still pushed me out of my comfort zone, something that both of them really want to do. 

"Chihiro-chan do you have a second bathing suit at home?" 

"Ah, no I don't," I say, still admiring myself. "Good now what's your size?" I rattle off my size. "Perfect, we're getting a surprise one piece," Then in sinks in. "Wait what?" I quickly change back into my clothes and put the suit on its hanger. I push back the curtains and already see Kiyoko and Yachi at the register. "Wait!"

"Too late~" Yachi chirps, taking two of the three bags. I sigh, "You two are just too much," I pay for the swimsuit in my hand and we leave the big store. Kiyoko said that she is going to hang onto my swimsuit until next week so that I'll definitely have it for the beach.

~~~

"WOO HOO!" Tanaka screeches ripping off his Hawaiian shirt.  "Tanaka put your shirt back on!" Ennoshita calls out. I shift my backpack a little as we wait to board the bus. When we load on, I snag a window seat near the back. "Is it alright if I sit here?" I look up at a nervous Asahi. "I-I mean it's okay if you don't want m-me too. It's just N-noya is sitting with Tanaka and-" he waves his hands around and I cut him off, "Yeah, it's fine. Take a seat," I gesture and he takes a seat.

I put an earbud in and put on an old indie playlist. The bus lurches forward and we head to the beach. I catch Asahi looking down at my music. I hold out the other earbud, "Wanna listen?" I ask. "U-Uh, yeah," he takes the earbud and puts it in the ear closest to me. We sit quietly and just listen. When the song changes his eyes light up and he smiles, "I know this song," 

"You like it?" I ask. He nods and I turn it up two notches. Riptide seems like a song he would like, happy and mellow. I look out the window and push my hair back. I watch the scenery run by me as the song continues. I mouth the lyrics and push up my glasses. I sink down into the seat and relax as the time goes by.

~~~

The seaside come into my view and I smile a little. I put my knees on my seat and look around through the window. "It's so pretty," I whisper. I sit back down but watch the shore until we stop in front of a large beach house.

Asahi hands me the earbud I lent him and grabs his bag. I grab mine and the team enters the house. "Girls upstairs to the right, guy upstairs to the left," Ukai calls out as the four rambunctious players plow through the door, "I call dibs on this bed!" Nishinoya yells. 

Kiyoko, Yachi, and I meet up at the door and go up to the room together. A king sized bed and one full sized bed fit into the spacious room. "Kiyoko you can have the full bed to yourself since you're a third year," Yachi looks over to me. I nod. We place our stuff down and explore the house. We find the ladder to the deck and climb it.

The bright blue painted ladder brings us to the rooftop. "Wow," I breathe. The sun begins to set and the sky is painted pink and orange. We stand against the railing and soak in the view. "I'm going to the beach to watch the sunset,"  I say, breaking the silence. I trot to the ladder and see a fireman pole. I slide down with a skid, "If anyone asks tell them I'm at the beach!" I call out.

"Wha-!" I bound down the stairs and out the door, not looking at anyone as I pass. I walk barefoot along the old sidewalk by the beach house. I cross the empty asphalt street stepping on a few rocks in the process.

When I cross, a wooden bridge brings me to the warm white sand on the other side. The waves crash onto the shore and releases a salty scent into the air. I breathe it all in with a smile. "It's been so long," I mutter. 

My feet sink into each step I take towards the low tide. The cold water rushes over my feet as I walk down. I just stand there and watch the horizon change colors. It's so pretty. I look down at the clear water at the colorful shells. I roll up my shorts and tie up my shirt before going farther in.

I cup my hands and bring the bleary water up to me. I let it splash as I unfurl my hands. A few droplets land on my glasses. A satisfied smile gleams on my face.

Third POV

Yachi rushes down the ladder. "I'm going to the beach!" she calls out to the others. "We'll come too!" a few of the boys follow Yachi across the street and to the bridge. About halfway over the bridge, Yachi stops. The boys behind her screech to a halt to. "What is it?" Tanaka asks before he looks up at a girl knee deep in water and staring at the sunset.

She cups a hand full of water and looks into it before letting it splash down. They walk all the way onto the sand but don't alert her to their presence. She kicks up water and laughs. They see the profile view of her wide smile. "Yachi go out there and join her, we'll hide here," Nishinoya whispers as the players hide behind tall grass. Not exactly sure why they are hiding, Yachi shrugs it off and calls Chihiro's attention.

"Hey Chihiro-chan!" she waves as she stomps through the sand. Chihiro's ears perk up and glances over to the smiling blonde. She smiles back and waves. Yachi slips off her shoes and dips her feet in. "Cold!" she shudders.

The other girl wades over to her and take her by the wrist, "Let's go look for shells," she says. Yachi rolls up her shorts too and they look around. "Here's one," she grabs it with her foot and grabs it from her foot. Her hand pops out of the water with a small pink clam shell. She shows it to Chihiro proudly.

"The sanctity of Karasuno," Nishinoya prays. A light blush dusts over their cheeks as Chihiro laughs again. "They're too pure!" Tanaka shields his eyes but Nishinoya makes him look. "Look at them! Bask in the greatness of a gathering of females!"

Tanaka, Nishinoya, Hinata, Kageyama, and the third years pop out from behind the dune grass. "Woo hoo!" Tanaka throws off his shirt and shoes and jumps into the waves. "Oi this is shallow water!" Chihiro calls out as Tanaka's head smacks the sand.