29

"BWAH!" Hinata's face buries itself in sand. I sit in a beach chair next to Ukai and Kiyoko with sunglasses over my actual glasses. Ukai blows the whistle for about the fifth time in this set. "Hinata I'm starting to think that you really enjoy getting sand in every opening of your face," I pinch the bridge of my nose. Kageyama yanks Hinata out of the sand roughly.

The sand makes it near impossible to jump and run at full power. Which makes it perfect to build endurance. I cross my legs and push up my glasses as I gaze down at my clipboard. I update player stats and information in my purple pen. The sun reflects off of my spectacles causing a glare over my eyes.

"It's hot~," I hear a groan from inside the sandy bounds of the court. I look at a short blur over my lenses, "The sooner you win the sooner you get to go swimming," I say, sparking a fire in them. The simple minded players execute moves with a new found vigor.

The first day along the shore greeted us with crystal clear water and a calm current. I glance longingly at the waters and then back at the clipboard sitting in my lap. I pull on the collar of my gray t-shirt as the heat gets to me. "We can go in the water after six sets, right?" I turn to Ukai and he nods. I turn my attention back to the second set as Kageyama jumps a mere inch off the sand into his serve. I can feel the frustration radiating off of him as his feet return to the ground.

~~~

"Put more power into your jumps! You're not on a gym court!" Ukai hollers, hands cupping his mouth. Daichi skids across the sand to receive the ball, narrowly hitting it up. Pesky grains stick to my skin and clothes. My eye twitches as I stand and brush the sand off.

"When they get better jumping in the sand, I wonder how they'll fare on a court," Kiyoko mutters. "They'll build up the muscle memory of having to use more effort in jumping so when they get on the court, their jumps will be higher and faster. And that's just jumps, their falling receives and speed will better significantly," I rattle off.

"Chihiro-chan, how many more sets?" Nishinoya heaves with his hands resting on his knees. "After this one four. So win already," I call out, hoping to give not only Nishinoya's team but the other group to win quick.

"Sugawara," I call out. The gray haired setter pokes his head out of the line of players, "Yes?" he jogs over and leans down to me, "Next time I sub you in, use the synchronized attack, 'kay?" He stands up and nods, "Yeah no problem!"

~~~

The four remaining sets go by painstakingly slow as the sun rises high. They finally finish up the final set at noon when it feels like I'm stuck in an oven. I barely move my hands to write and beads of sweat roll down my forehead. "Chihiro-chan can you help me set of the tent?" Takeda-sensei wrestles with collapsible metal and orange fabric. I nod and unfurl the teacher.

I pull the metal pieces into position. "AH!" I yelp in pain and retract my hand from between the metal pieces. I shake my hand around, trying desperately not to curse out loud. "Are you okay?!" Takeda-sensei squeaks, letting go of the fabric. I look at the skin between my index finger and thumb at an angry red mark. I turn to look at him but I flinch when I see him hovering over me. "Ah, it's fine. It didn't break the skin," he sighs in relief.

We finish setting up the beach tent and Kiyoko sets up a table in the corner of the covered area to place prepared food on. The sweaty players shuffle to the covered patch of sand seeking food and shade. I snack on a rice ball before running down to the water. I barrel down the shallow slope and to the edge of the water.

I let the waves ebb around my feet with seashells and tiny fish. I feel like I'm in a cheesy summer coming of age film. Nevertheless, I slosh my feet around frothing up the water. As I set my foot down I feel something slimy glide. I yank my foot out of the water in alarm, a squeak of shock accompanying it. Fish.

~~~

I return to the sand and set out a towel for me to lay back on. I hear someone beside me set a bag down. I look up at Yachi, "Wanna go swim?" she ask. I look at the extensive ocean and see the team has already flung off their shirts and frolicking in waist deep water. I sigh, "That means taking off my shorts doesn't it?" My stomach fills with dread thinking about it.

"Only you can make the decision. If you aren't comfortable, we won't make you do it," Kiyoko sits down on her teal beach towel. I draw circles in the sand with my knees pull to my chest. 

After thinking, I relax my legs and let them fall away from my body, looking away for a second. "I guess I don't have anything to lose," I nod, making my decision, "Let's get this over with,"

 I fling my shirt and shorts off, not giving myself anytime to think about it. Kiyoko wears a sleek black one piece and Yachi wears a ruffle bikini. I look down at my own swim shirt and black bikini bottoms. "Hey," I feel a hand on my upper arm. "You look great, there's nothing to worry about. And we'll be right beside you the whole time," I look up and to the managers with reassuring smiles.

I take a deep breath and push my shoulders down looking straight ahead. I won't let myself be taken down by a swimsuit. One step at a time, I inch towards the shore. I purposely distance myself from the majority of the team.

Third POV

The third and first year managers tried their best to encourage Chihiro to let her guard down, and they succeed. Her swimsuit covers her shoulders completely, the only way Chihiro would even consider taking her shirt off.  Clusters of dark pink scar tissue on the girl's legs stands out a little compared to her darker olive tone skin. Some straight, some jagged, and some patches.

Hinata and Kageyama glance over the the three girls' direction. The two managers block their view of their coach almost entirely. "Yachi-chan looks so cute in ruffles~!" Tanaka gushes, catching the duo's attention. "And Kiyoko-senpai looks stunning as usual," Nishinoya throws his arm around Tanaka.

Yachi steps out of the formation, allowing Chihiro to be seen. But Chihiro's shoulders bunch up and she begins shaking her head. "Huh? What's wrong with Chihiro-chan? Is she okay?" Hinata wonders aloud. Kiyoko and Yachi rest a hand on her arm and nod comfortingly.

"Did something happen?" Kageyama asks confused. 

A piercingly blunt voice answers "Are you really that dense?"

 He turns around angrily,"HAH!? WHAT WAS THAT?!"

 Tsukishima's smug expression looks down upon the setter. "I said: are you really that dense?"Kageyama snarls at him, "Alright asshole, what's going on?" he crosses his arms in defense.

"She's a teenage girl, almost all of them are insecure about the way they look in a bathing suit. Chihiro is no exception," Yamaguchi snickers with his blond friend.

"But why would she? She's looks great. She's barely showing any skin as it is too," Hinata joins. Yamaguchi reconsiders. He squints and shades his eyes to see the three girls. Chihiro looks to be folding in on herself and backing away from the water. He hums in skepticism. 

A thump and a yell breaks his concentration, "Hinata pass it back!" The players soon forget what they were talking about and disperse. 

First POV

"Come on you've got this, it's now or never," Yachi cues a painfully long walk along the shoreline to the cluster of high schoolers. My feet sink into the sand with each anxious step. I focus my gaze on the puffy clouds in the sky.

"Our three goddesses have arrived!" Nishinoya's loud proclamation brings my eyes down. The inviting smiles of the volleyball players relax my shoulders and loosen my tight jaw. "Wanna join?" Ennoshita twirls the volleyball on his finger. I shrug and push back my bangs. He tosses it to me and I toss it to Asahi and so on.