13

"-not regain custody of their daughter," he finished reading. A weight lifts off my shoulder and my body relaxes. "Thank God," I mutter. My cousin embraces me tightly. "I told you," she whispers in my ear.

I feel two more sets of arms wrap around me. "We did it, kitty," I hear Kuroo say. "We did," Kenma affirms. "The jury has spoken. I now pronounce this meeting adjourned," the final slam of the gavel solidifies the truth.

I pull away from the three as I remember a key factor, "I have to get back to Inter-high," I recall. My cousin nods. "Let's go now," she smiles at me.

We jog out of the courthouse and to her car after saying a quick goodbye to the two and the courthouse. A new wave of nervousness washes over. So what did I miss?

~~~

I rush back in the gym and change back into tennis shoes and track suit. The sound of my shoes slapping the polished wooden floors announces my arrival to the match. Takeda looks over and beckons me to the bench. I skirt around the court and sit. We are facing Aoba Josei.

"We're at match point of the third set. We won the second. We won against Date ko as well," he informs me. "Snap out of it!" I turn my attention to the court and see Hinata scowling at Kageyama. He scoffs but returns to the game. I quickly grab my clipboard from the bench.

Oikawa serves the ball. It ricochets off Daichi's forearms back to the other side of the court. "They're all worn out," I note.

"Encourage them," Ukai beckons. I look at the score and we are in overtime. I cup my hands around my mouth and shout.

"KARASUNO FIGHT!" some of the players catch my eye and smirk. Despite the puddles of sweat they give it another push. I sit back down and watch the game.

But it is over by the time I sit. Hinata's spike hits the blocker's hands and hit our court. I feel myself become angry, no not angry, mad. I grit my teeth and scowl at myself. The other team celebrates their victory in the midst of our defeat. I can't help but to be infuriated by Oikawa's fake closed-eye smile.

They line up for hand shakes and begin cleaning up the court. I grip my clipboard tightly. That's when I hear a loud snap and feel my clipboard split in two. I scoff and rip my papers out of the clip and stuff them into my bag, tossing the clipboard away. The scowl on my face deepens.

I storm out of the gym and outside to wait for them. I use the time to scold myself for not being there for my team. I wasn't there and I costed them the win. I get on the bus and shove my earbuds in. I drag the crumpled paper out of my bag and begin scrutinizing my every note.

I could have done endurance training and conditioning. I could have actually trained them instead of trying to figure each player out. I should have pushed aside my issues for the team.

I angrily scribble down what I did wrong. I ended the third years' last tournament. My jaw locks up and I refuse to talk. I don't even think about the fact that I was just in a courtroom fighting for my well being.

We arrive at the school at meet in the gym. I force myself into composure. "You did an amazing job out there today. I couldn't have asked for a better team," Ukai finished his speech. "Anything to say, about the game you saw,"

That unintentionally stung. I bow lowly, "I'm sorry I wasn't there for the team in their most critical time of need. I take full responsibility of our loss," I raise my head and leave the building before I blow up.

"Chihiro-chan what-" I keep walking out. "This isn't yo-" I slide the door shut behind me with a slam. I look around for something to take my anger out on. This day dragged on forever. I haven't gotten sleep in a week and I have been holding back my emotions for too long.