Hearts Still Beating

(Josh's pov)

I opened my eyes and sat up real quickly. I had tears in my eyes and I was breathing rapidly.

Thank God it's just a dream. I thought.

But, I started to feel like that the dream seemed real. I haven't spoke to Tyler all day. My worries for him flowed through my body. It caused more tears to pile down my cheeks.

I realized that I need to know if the dream was real. So I quickly slipped into my black shoes and put on my black jacket and ran out the door.

Thankfully I didn't wake anybody.

(Mama Joseph's pov)

Chris, Zack, and Jay had finished the glass coffin. Madison and I had already wrapped my son up in plastic wrap and placed him on the carrier board.

I couldn't believe that I lost my son, my oldest child. I looked down on the white rose that Josh had given to Tyler on that very night. I asked Madison to place it on the glass coffin.

Around 11:30, Chris and the boys returned from taking the glass coffin to that place we'd talked about. Then the 5 of us lifted Tyler over our shoulders and carried him through the neighborhood to the place.

The building was all black on the inside. It even had a small little hill which we believed was a good place to put the glass coffin.

Once Chris and the boys placed it there, Madison and I unwrapped Tyler and carried him to the hill and placed him into the glass coffin.

Once everything was ready, we placed the lid onto the coffin; officially burying our son.

(Josh's pov)

I arrived at the building which is what I saw in my dream. Everything about it seemed so real. But I realized I needed to go and see if Tyler was in there. I needed to know if it's true.

With a heavy heart, I walked into the building. Once I entered, I saw Tyler's family gathered around a small hill with a glass coffin on top.

While standing there for that brief second, I was thinking, no. Don't let it be Tyler. Please don't let it be Tyler.

When I walked up the latter and was finally on top of the hill. I saw the coffin more closely.

It was Tyler.

He was laying inside of the coffin. He had died.

I couldn't believe it. He promised to stay alive for me. But his heart couldn't be cured.

I got closer to the coffin. I laid my hands on it and could not take my eyes off my boyfriend's lifeless body. He didn't move. His eyes were closed, he wasn't breathing. His hands were across his chest. He looked as if he was asleep.

As I looked upon the coffin, I saw the white rose. That same rose I had given to Tyler last night. When I held the rose in my hand, I lost it.

I laid my head against the coffin; weeping.

3 days later

I continued to stay by Tyler's side. I didn't care about school or home. Tyler was the only person I cared about. He still laid in that coffin. And I sat by it.

Later on that day, Mama Joseph noticed that I was still with them protecting their son's grave. She walked in holding a bowl of homemade rolls that she had made without an oven or a stove.

She was real concerned about me.

"You've been here for 3 whole days." She said in amazement.

I was sitting on the edge of the hill holding the white rose in my hand. Which was the only thing I had left of Tyler.

"I'm sorry, I just can't leave him." I told her.

"I know how much you miss Tyler." Mama Joseph said. "I miss my son too. I'm glad he's here with us, even though he may never awaken, but I'm glad he's in our hearts."

Mama Joseph placed the bowl down and sat right next to me.

"That dream, it felt real." I told her.

"What was it about?" Mama Joseph asked.

"It was about Tyler." I said. "He told me at school that he was gonna die from Cardiomyopathy. And I remember seeing him die right in front of me. And that you guys took him away to this place."

"We did." Mama Joseph said. "Tyler thought he was feeling better. So we asked him to come down and be with us. But when he started walking, he collapsed. We refused to hand him over to the doctors or allow anyone to do away with his body. So we brought him here. Where he would be safe, and hidden."

I looked over to the coffin. Still seeing Tyler laying in it.

"I want to touch him one last time."

I got up and came to Tyler's side. Mama Joseph helped me lift the lid off of the coffin so I could see Tyler more clearly.

I touched his face. It felt so warm. I even touched his hands. They felt warm too.
I was so saddened that he had to die so early and so quick.

But suddenly, I started to feel him on the inside. His heart was still beating. Not normally but just a bit. How could his heart still be beating when he's in this deep unconsciousness?

Still, I was heartbroken that Tyler went through this. But I needed to know if he still has his heart.

So I placed my hand onto Tyler's chest, and the other on the back of his head and lifted him up from the coffin. Then I threw him forwards real quickly and hard.

Right when I threw him, I could hear Tyler's breath come through him. He was breathing so quickly and so rapidly. I couldn't help but watch him try to regain his life.

When he felt like he could breathe normally, he opened his eyes and saw where he was. The sight of his mother's eyes were filled with relief and happiness. Her own son had woken up.

I was still holding him while he looked around. Then he turned to me and smiled. And we embraced each other. Mama Joseph watched us. She was so happy.

She ran over to the other side. "CHRIS! MADISON! JAY! ZACK!" She called.

When they came running in, they saw that I had Tyler in my arms. He was alive. His heart was still beating. Even at the brink of death.