First Days

(Tyler's pov)

Junior year had just begun. It's September. I love my classes, my teachers, and the people I'm in class with. But the thing that annoys me real bad is wearing a heart monitor and having kids ask you about it.

I have Cardiomyopathy. It's a heart condition where my heart mussels are abnormal. I've had it ever since I was 14. I'm 17 now.

Last year during my Sophomore year, I met Josh Dun. Yeah, he's the guy with the colorful hair that changes every week. And the stretchy ears and nose piercing.

When I first saw him, I was a bit scared of him. I always thought he was dangerous or a bit of a bully. But after seeing him for a few days, he seemed to be harmless.

But I remember when we met. I was walking to class and I fell because my heart fluttered. Josh was by my side and he helped me back to my feet. We talked a bit and said we'll see each other at lunch.

However, something hit me real quick in the head. I never knew that Josh was in every single class that I was in. That's how we became close.

Josh and I were like brothers. He would go wherever I would go. We even went over to each other's houses. That's how our families got close.

I'm glad to have a best friend like Josh. But the thing that scares me is dying from this illness. I have to do so much to stay alive. Like wearing a heart monitor and taking medicine to keep my blood pressure down. It's extremely scary. But I gotta stay strong for myself, my family, and Josh.

(Josh's pov)

I've been there for Tyler ever since he fell trying to get to class last year. I care about him a lot. There were times where he had trouble trying to get up. I had to help him to his feet and even go as far as walking him to some of his classes.

It scares me to see Tyler at his lowest points. But, maybe it's anxiety or weakness. Or maybe it's normal for him. I don't know.

I myself have problems too. I've had depression for so long. But I'm surviving it because I have people who care for me. Like Tyler. I just hope that one day we can become more than just a pair. But we'll have to wait and see.