t h i r t y

The sounds of steel striking against steel hit me before the bulky forms of soldiers did

The sounds of steel striking against steel hit me before the bulky forms of soldiers did. The two guards escorting me to their training room stopped once we reached the entrance where huge double doors stood wide open unguarded.

There were about fifty soldiers in the room, all of them involved in some sort of an exercise or combat. To my satisfaction and admiration, I spotted many women among the soldiers. I spotted Derek in one of the rope rings, sparring with somebody.

The air was thick and heavy and mainly stank of sweat. Most of the male soldiers were shirtless while the females wore fitting tanks or plain t-shirts. I shuffled on my feet feeling a tad bit nervous.

Derek stopped his training when he saw me. He sheathed his sword and caught a towel as he made his way to me. At once, everybody seemed to notice my presence. The sound of whispers and murmurs grew. I promptly ignored them and made my way to meet Derek halfway.

"You're on time." He said with a light smile.

He nodded for my escorts to leave us. He took in my loose tank top and black leggings. He nod his head and led me to the ring in which he just was in. Now that I was closer it looked bigger than the view I got from my the door.

I wrinkled my nose not yet used to the smell in the room. Derek noticed and smirked.

"You're going to have to get used to it if you want to prove your tough, Princess." He said.

I rolled my eyes. I gave the room full of curious faces another once over.

"Who am I sparring against?" I said completely ignoring his previous comment.

Derek turned to the group slowing forming around us. The chatter was growing louder by the second. He clapped his hands twice and whistled shrilly. That seemed to quieten and get everybody's attention at once.

"Listen up. We are going to have a little practice match today. But it will be done differently from our usual matches. Three of you will be sparring against Princess Elina." He paused when the murmurs got louder again.
He clapped his hands once more.